Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ooh, let me take you to the Weald places! *MOD WIP preview*

Juju

It it helps, my maternal Grandmother's large terraced house in Wimbledon was built around 1908 and definately had an upstairs bathroom and loo with exterior plumbing as shown in Juju's picture. It was built as a residence for fairly welathy people though - it had bell pushes to call the servants in every room which rang in the kitchen area (great fun as kids we had with those).

On the other hand the two-up two down terrace house (also built between 1900 and 1911) of my paternal grandparents was a distinctly working class dwelling with a loo in the garden.

Finally my own first house (not in London but genteel Worthing) was a bungalow built in 1935 which had an indoor bathroom and loo with indoor plumbing as did all the bungalows in the road.

So my guess would be indoor bathrooms at the time of the second world war would be common for houses in the better neighbourhoods, but "working class" people had to face the cold and the wet and trek outside.

With the three buildings on offer I would say the large "Georgian" house and the pair of semis could well be pictured with exterior plumbing for indoor facilities but not that based on a rural stable.

Fascinating topic, what?

[ August 18, 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: llama ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by llama:

Fascinating topic, what?

It jolly well is! smile.gif Weird as this forum is -there are lengthy discussions about kitchen sinks and hamsters, for instance- I don't think we ever did toilets. Latrines maybe, but toilets...

Thanks for all the info, guys. Helped me make up my mind about it.

If you look at where and why terraced houses were built most were built by the companys like the railways and such like.To give quick and cheap housing for the working masses.

So they were very basic.Tin bath in front of the fire on bath night.Outhouses with a toilet in one and the other one for storeing coal.

My 1975 terrace that i owned was actualy called a palisaded villa as i had a front garden which was a few slabs and a bay window.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Well, isn't that in Wales?

No i only went on holiday to Wales.

I live in Leicester.

Right in the middle of the shires.In middle England.(ring any bells with any body in regards to an old book and a recent film triolgy).

In fact i live we have many old WWII airfields round here and a lot of the US paras were billeted on Victoria park which is right next to my old house.

I will take some photos of the memorial stone on the park if anybody wants it.

I intend going out and taking some shots of the old canal bridges so i can change the stone bridge on CM for a brick built one.

Edited cause i can't speelll to save my liffe

Gautrek, you're gonna do a bridge, eh! cool.

Here's a few tips and limitations for ya: 1) The sides connecting to the land stretch something awful in-game. It will limit the possibilities. Especially when using brick, I fear. 2) Depending on the map contours used it wil either suck or look good. In other words, it will only look the way you intended on the map contour you made it for.

Oh, and 3) The top three or four rows of pixels won't show up in the game. Always good to know these things before you start.

Originally posted by Juju:

Gautrek, you're gonna do a bridge, eh! cool.

Here's a few tips and limitations for ya: 1) The sides connecting to the land stretch something awful in-game. It will limit the possibilities. Especially when using brick, I fear. 2) Depending on the map contours used it wil either suck or look good. In other words, it will only look the way you intended on the map contour you made it for.

Oh, and 3) The top three or four rows of pixels won't show up in the game. Always good to know these things before you start.

thanks for the info.

But don't hold me to it.

As it may do my head in when i start.

well i have made a start.

bridge.jpg

[ August 19, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]