Serious Historical Error

btm

Originally posted by athkatla:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Keke:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Los:

....ahkio...

Interesting to note that US military has adopted a Finnish word for that sleigh thingy. smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by Keke:

An online Finnish-English translator gave "pulka" and "sleigh" for Finnish word "ahkio". "Pulkka" is a Finnish word meaning small kids sled.

Seems I recall that in Cross of Iron, the Squad Leader module, they were called pulka or pulkka. And they were pulled by reindeer.

:cool:

Michael

Be advised an ahkio, (in US Army Parlance) is not a sled per se, as in it has no runners. It more like a surfboard, though kind of concave. With a canvas cover that you pack stuff into then pull with harnesses. Maybe a Pulkha is more of a traditional type sleigh?

This is a link to a not very good picture of us pulling an ahkio 20 + years ago.

Los

Ahkio pulling

[ December 10, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Los ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

Question to the real-life mortar crewmen:

How much ammo would you typically have?

redwolf,

The basic 5 day log without mortar ammo was around 85 pounds. So add 3-4 rounds per man for the guys not carrying part of the mortar plus a round or two for anybody who could carry extra weight. We were always shorthanded. I doubt we had more than 25 rounds with us.

The plan was that if we needed ammo the chinooks would bring us a pallet.

Hence, it was best to leave the 81s on the firebase, and send the FOs with the rifle platoons. Which is what we did most of the time.

SSG D

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SSG D:

I had three tube squads...

Pardon me, but I keep stumbling on this phrase. Do you mean you had:

• Three one-tube squads;

• Three two-tube squads; or

• Three-tube squads (number of squads not specified)?

Michael </font>

Originally posted by SSG D:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SSG D:

I had three tube squads...

Pardon me, but I keep stumbling on this phrase. Do you mean you had:

• Three one-tube squads;

• Three two-tube squads; or

• Three-tube squads (number of squads not specified)?

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Los:

Be advised an ahkio, (in US Army Parlance) is not a sled per se, as in it has no runners. It more like a surfboard, though kind of concave. With a canvas cover that you pack stuff into then pull with harnesses. Maybe a Pulkha is more of a traditional type sleigh?

That's also the Finnish meaning of it. It's used for pulling all the heavy stuff across snow - you don't push ATG's or carry a HMG on your shoulder when the snow reaches your elbows. Also for tents, food, firewoods etc.

In my FM 31-71 "Northern Operations" from 1950's the definition for 'Pulka' is "A boat-like reindeer sled used by Lapps." Silly Lapps! As Keke noted, for Finns pulkka means mainly a children's sled. Reki is horse-drawn sleigh while kelkka has many meanings and variations.