Reinforcement Slots

Znarf

Why were the reinforcment slots reduced to 20 in CMAK from 30 in CMBB? I like lots of reinforcment slots.

Did this adversely affect the AI? Seems like a simple change to increase the slot numbers - maybe this can be done in the next patch?

Programmers forgive me if I'm ignorant, I'm only a former electrical engineer, not a software scribe...

Originally posted by Kingfish:

You would be hard pressed to find many games in CMBB that used up 15 slots, much less 30.

I've desiged one in CMAK with all 20 slots used on both sides ("A Thousand Ways to Die") and am currently working on another with all 20 used.....

My point is that alloting 30 slots does not appear to be a resouce problem (or was it? that's what I'm trying to find out) so hopefully in CM2 they have more reinforcment slots available.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

You would be hard pressed to find many games in CMBB that used up 15 slots, much less 30.

Yes, but that doesn't mean no one has ever used 30. I used all 20 for my Devil's Brigade scenario, simply because I wanted lots of random reinforcement options with a low percentage of being activated.

More slots are not the answer for CMX2 - flexibity is. IF/THEN options would be nice to have.

I vote for more slots and/or IF/THEN option (as long as we don't actually have to code).

It really makes a game richer when assets, that aren't necessarily vital, drop in randomly throughout the game. It's like FedEx stopping at your house. The anticipation can make even a drab turn more interesting.

What about reinforcements in the middle of battles for each turn of a campaign?

I have no idea what junk2drive is on about...

Download Cat and Mouse and you will see what I mean - small platoon sized reinforcement groups with a 1% chance of entry. I threw away my notes, but this guaranteed roughly 5 platoon sized reinforcements per game, but the composition was different with each group. This is the closest we can come to "random" reinforcements. One group might be a flakwagen and a green platoon, another one an 81mm spotter and two squads, a third one a MMG platoon, etc. It seemed to work rather well with my run throughs.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

I refer to the use of snipers/ss as farm boys with hunting rifles, old men, civil disobedients.

You may have a need for 5 regular reinforcements and 20 snipers at various places and turns.

Maybe not likely, but you could see the need.

Unlimited slots would be best.

Yes I've used that in several city fights, this reflects the chaotic nature of city fighting - especially wiht militias and irregulars involved.

Works well in cities as the reinforcements points are usually inside building, multiple entry in regular terrain means they either have a long walk or they can show up behind or inside the enemy forces.