why is pak 36 so piss poor?

Originally posted by Tim The Enchanter:

Woah there fellah, is there realy a need to describe the PAK 36 as "piss poor"?

Did it occur to you that not everyone is pleased by that type of language? There are a host of neat adjectives out there.

Thank you for your consideration, you seem like a kind enough fellow, am I right or what gang?

You just jump right in don't ya

Originally posted by explosion:

oh sorry. lemme reword that...

does anybody know why the pak 36 is so crap arse?

For Goodness Sake, all I did was propose to you an alternative to disregarding forum policy out of what I imagine is nothing more that personal frustration on your part.

It is also better on the eyes of the rest of the gang if you edit out potty mouth words to not only add to others enjoyment of this resource that is so kindly presented to us gamers, but also you may find your question far more easily answered.

Am I right or what Gang?

Originally posted by Tim The Enchanter:

Woah there fellah, is there realy a need to describe the PAK 36 as "piss poor"?

Did it occur to you that not everyone is pleased by that type of language? There are a host of neat adjectives out there.

Thank you for your consideration, you seem like a kind enough fellow, am I right or what gang?

"...the PAK 36 as piss poor...": the choice of words is a beautiful example of alliteration, I like it...it's to the point even if "piss poor"

"Scatter gap" is the phaenomenon that sometimes the penetration of a round is less at higher speed, which means shorter range.

The reason is that the slightly higher speed on impact might crush the round (for certain rounds, this is not common).

Example:

Gun X penetrated 100mm plate at 1000m, hitting with 800m/sec and penetrates.

Fired at the same 100mm plate at 1100m, hitting with 750m/sec it fails. So far so good.

But for some rounds you can have it that it hits the same 100mm plate at 900m with 850m/sec and fail as well. The reason is that the projectile gets scattered due to the higher forces on impact.

The same round might penetrate again at 800m and 900m/sec.

You don't have to see an actual drop in penetration, sometimes it is just limiting to one upper value and doesn't raise anymore when the range gets shorter.

If you search for "scatter gap" you'll find plenty of posting by user "rexford", who explains this stuff a lot better than I do. I you want to attract his attention you can edit the title of this thread to include "scatter gap".

You also need to take into account that the 4 [actually 2] pdr and 6 pdr AT guns were excellent for their caliber.

The round modeled in CMAK and CMBB for the Pak36 has a large HE charge which weakens the round considerably (limiting maximum penetration no matter how fast it hits) and also makes it a lot lighter. Why the values in CMAK are lower than in CMBB I don't know.

[ September 07, 2004, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]