ATI Rage 128 Fury & fog issue.

Hi everybody,

I did a search regarding the fog issue, but did not find anything about the ATI Rage 128 fury video card specific to the fog issue.

So, voila: is anybody able to get Fog working using that particular video card.

I have upgraded to the lattest driver and still no fog.

I do get the night (or at least I think), building transparency, weather and smoke effects though.

Specs: ATI rage 128 fury

600Mhz Pentium

128 MB

DirectX 7.a

Thanks for your time,

Sincerely,

Karl

I have an ATI Rage Fury (128 Pro).

No luck, no fog effects. As you said, everything else works, but fog. Apparently the ATI Rage family does not support fog-table emulation. The newer ATI Rages support the newer types of fog, but not the type that CM has been programmed for. From what I can tell no driver update will fix this - its a hardware design issue.

Guest Big Time Software

Xyphorus,

It appears that any of the cards out on the market today work with CM just fine. The Rage Pro chipset is pretty old and fog was not something that was handled well back then. I have a 16MB ATI card that uses the Rage 128 chipset and fog works great.

Steve

Steve

I have a Diamond Stealth III s540 Xtreme and I only get a very faint hint of fog even with weather on full. Tried it with fog tables off and then I get no fog. Tried the latest drivers, but then CM refuses to allow any resoultion greater than 800 X 600. When I use an older driver I can get my desktop setting of 1024 X 768. Haven't tried the Reactor Critical drivers yet. I emailed Diamond to ask for a fix but no reply yet.

Elmo

Xyphorus - Depending on how much you want to spend a GeForce (nVidia chipset) card would be a good buy. There are several types out there: GeForce SDRs, DDRs and GeForce2s and soon GeForce2 MX. The GeForce SDRs would be the cheapest, but usually at least US$200 (I guess). The GeForce2s (which have DDR memory) will be the most expensive. They come in 32Mb and 64Mb versions.

If that's too much to spend then a card based on the TNT2 Ultra would be a good buy (like the Diamond Viper V770 Ultra or the Creative Blaster TNT2 Ultra). These cards you should find for under US$200.

Some people like the new 3dfx Voodoo5 5500, which has two processors on it. There's some trouble with the drivers when you use both processors, but that may be fixed at some point. The Voodoo5s (and the GeForces) support FSAA (Full Screen Anti-Aliasing) which "smoothes the jaggies" on the display. FSAA will usually incur a big hit in video processing and lower your frame-rate, but for some people the quality is worth it. I'm not sure which card is faster at FSAA, possibly the Voodoo5.

As for the ATI problem. Apparently the "fog-table emulation" problem is only an issue with DirectX. I'm not sure what method Charles used for fog on the Mac in RAVE, but the ATIs on the Mac can do fog (possibly because the fog under RAVE doesn't utilize "fog-tables"). Anyway, something to that effect.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-21-2000).]

Steve,

Thanks the info.

I am currently using the same card than you do, but on a PC not a Mac. The fog does not work at all with ATI Rage 128 16MB (PC).

Schrullenhaft,

Thanks, I took good note of your advices and recommendations.

I think that I will upgrade my video card very soon. I will most likely go with a Creative Blaster TNT2 Ultra.

Ciao,

Karl

• 1 month later...

MERC - Steve and Charles are using the ATI chips on a Macintosh. The Quickdraw RAVE drivers on the Mac support fog-tables. I don't know if there are any differences between the chips used on the Mac and the PC. If there isn't any, then ATI has not written their drivers to have DirectX support fog-table (emulation, probably).

I don't know if ATI ever intends on addressing this issue. ATI is probably focusing on the Radeon now, so an update for the Rage Pro/128/etc probably won't happen.