'Wacht am Rhein', Peiper's assault at Stoumont!

Richie

Hi guys, it is my absolute pleasure to offer my Operation,

"Wacht am Rhein", Kampfgruppe Peiper assaulting at Stoumont, Targnon and the Stoumont Station, 19th December 1944, the Ardennes, now available at The Scenario Depot.

7 battles of 30+ turns on a 4km x 2.3 km map.

This is a factual account of the assault. It represents the best attempt to recreate the historical forces and conditions of the day.

You must generate the first battle with THICK FOG. This is essential to game balance.

Unfortunately, I tried to upload a zipped file with a 'German setup vs the AI with Thick Fog' but size limit at the depot is currently 100k per file. I'll happily email this save to anyone myself. My email is in my profile.

December 1944

Operation 'Wacht am Rhein' began on the 16th December on an 85 mile front. The American Army, refitting in the 'quiet' Ardenne Forest, faced it's greatest battle of WWII as SS Panzer Korps and Volksgrenadier Divisions smashed their way through the enemy lines. Due to stubborn resistance at key junctions, the Germans failed initially to secure the vital roads leading west. By the morning of the 17th the resistance of the brave American GI's had finally been overcome and the Panzers pushed on into Belgium.

Obersturmbannfuhrer Joachim Peiper, commander of 'Kampfgruppe Peiper', 'Leibstandarte', the 1st SS Panzer Division, spent the 16th waiting for the road to clear. By the dawn of the 17th 'Kampfgruppe Peiper' had been able to forge west to the Losheim Gap. Already short on fuel he was able to capture a US fuel dump at Bullingen and then push further west on the heals of retreating US forces toward the Meuse River.

On the morning of the 18th, a bridge across the Ambleve River was taken at Stavelot, but the bridge controlling one exit west from the Ambleve Valley at Trois Ponts was blown by American engineers. 'Kampfgruppe Peiper' was forced to follow the right bank of the Ambleve River to La Gleize on narrow roads through some of the most mountainous regions in Belgium. According to Peiper himself, roads only fit for bicycles. After capturing a bridge over the Ambleve at Cheneux on the 18th, Peiper pushed west along the N 23 only to be halted by US forces holding a bridge near Habiemont. He ordered Cheneux be garrisoned while his main force caught up at La Gleize. His 'spearhead' then turned west, pushing through the 'Bois de Bassenge' on the northern bank of the Ambleve River, along the N.33 to Stoumont. With his fuel stocks dwindling he was desprately seeking a western exit from the river valley.

As light failed on the evening of the 18th,"Peiper's 'spearhead" halted in the woods between the villages of Stoumont and La Gleize.

He planned to assault Stoumont at first light.

Meanwhile the word had spread. A massacre of US prisoners at Malmedy served to steel the GI's spirit. Several delaying actions had slowed 'Kampfgruppe Peiper' enough for Lieutenant General Courtney Hodges of the US army to organise a holding force and garrison Stoumont with assorted units from the US 3rd Battalion.

On the morning of the 19th, Peiper attacked. Despite having little fuel and scant provisions, his troops were in good spirits. The Ardennes offensive would turn out to be the last Blitzkreig in the west...

Enjoy!

Richie

Boots & Tracks

Thanks to Admiral Keth for hosting!

[ January 12, 2005, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Richie ]

There is a problem with the file at the Scenario Depot - it is not zipped. My browser opens the file up as text on the screen. When I rightclick the download link and hit "save target as", I get a .php file instead...any chance of zipping?

I just got KGP II during the Moving Sale at MMP, looking forward to both of these. Glad someone is getting mileage out of their HASL(!)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

There is a problem with the file at the Scenario Depot - it is not zipped. My browser opens the file up as text on the screen. When I rightclick the download link and hit "save target as", I get a .php file instead...any chance of zipping?

I just got KGP II during the Moving Sale at MMP, looking forward to both of these. Glad someone is getting mileage out of their HASL(!)

Odd...just tested and it works fine using IE 6. What browser are you using, Michael?

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Odd...just tested and it works fine using IE 6. What browser are you using, Michael? </font>

OK guys, try it now.

I zipped the file, although I'm uncertain as to why this would make any difference. If you have pop-up blockers enabled, this might be a cause; as Michael noted, there is a .php page in between the synopsis page and the actual download page which updates the database with some statistics.

I have developed a completely different methodolgy for downloads which:

1) Eliminates this particular issue.

2) Allows for additional supporting files to be posted.

3) Allows for author upload of screenshots.

4) Allows for author updating of the scenario file.

However, these features will not be implemented until The Scenario Depot v3. I am researching and developing various methodolgies to support this new version, but actual work will not begin in earnest until I have secured gainful employment.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I have played the ASL versions. I always found the Stoumont Op incomplete without the push on to Targnon, and these days, unfortunately I find it slightly inaccurate too. Still a great game though!

PS: Sorry for the typo in the briefing...

A big Thankyou to Admiral Keth for the fix too!

Richie