Unhandled Exception c00000000005

Captnbn

When playing TCP/IP with a friend I am getting the "Unhandled Exception c000000005..." message and it locks up the game. This only happens during a game played over the internet. I have not had it happen playing PBEM or as 1 player. My system is a Dell 8400 running Windows XP....he has a Dell 2400 running Windows XP. The only difference I can see is that he has a high speed connection and I use dial-up. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My friend is about to have hip surgery and we plan to do some serious fighting while he recovers. Also, I have on several occasions refreshed my DirectX files, and the more it happens the less convinced I am that that is the problem.

Which particular game are you playing, CMBO, CMBB or CMAK ? Can you constantly generate this error with several games ? How long does it take to generate this error - is it immediate or can you play for several turns before something happens ?

Typically this memory address is related to DirectX functions, so we often recommend that people reinstall DirectX under the assumption that something has become corrupted. The TCP/IP routines in the game are based on the OpenPlay API, though I don't know how that may interact with DirectX's Networking API for gaming.

Since this doesn't happen with anything other than TCP/IP play, have you closed down all other utilities while playing the game ? Potentially something else could be interfering with the game while you're connected. This can be true of instant messaging clients (though I wouldn't think that they would generate an unhandled exception).

What videocard do you have in your Dell 8400 ? What drivers do you have loaded up for it ? On occasion some video driver (strangely) have an issue with CM and TCP/IP play (though I can't remember the exact circumstances). If you're using a beta driver, you may want to come back down to a WHQL/Official release.

I just recieved that error playing a PBEM game. It occured when I was rotating around the battle field while viewing the map after the game ended. In addition, I got the address the error occured at as 3f800000. NEVER had this happen before.

Two things on my machine changed - new nVidia driver, and the CMAK patch.

Snarker - I suggest downgrading your Nvidia driver to an earlier version to see if that addresses the problem. Despite some of the problems with the patch, I don't think that this is one of them.

Also make sure that everything else in the background is shut down before playing CM. It's possible that you could have something interfering, though the driver update may be the most likely culprit.

There is no specific incompatibility with the latest video drivers and CMAK 1.03. However some people have had problems with the latest Nvidia drivers, so it may be wise to downgrade in this case to see if it makes a difference. One other thing to check would be to change some of the options for Direct3D such as anti-aliasing, etc.

I agree with it being a video driver problem. I'm actually using nVidia's beta, as their 'official' crashed my OS with one program (nVidia fixed it for the beta). I have a feeling there is a problem of a much lesser degree with nVidia's driver and CMAK, not a CMAK problem per se. I know nVidia fixed the opacity problem I was seeing when playing CMAK, so maybe the fix has changed something else. This time was the first time I've ever seen an error like this one on my machine.

I sent the error report off to MS when asked, so maybe they'll forward it to BFC and nVidia. At least that's how I was told it works. smile.gif

First of all, thanks everyone for your replies. The game I am playing is CMBO. Now, I have downloaded(several times)a fresh and latest version of DirectX and I can get into a scenario for 20 turns or 6 turns before getting this message. There seems to be no pattern to number of units or complexity of map, etc..

The only other program I have running is my connection to MSN. Below is the information on my video card and driver:

64MB DDR NVDIA GeForce 4mx 420 w/tv out

nv4_Disp.dll

Originally posted by Snarker:

I have 9.0c already, but it was installed before I updated the vid driver. Do you remember if you upgraded your video driver before you started seeing the problem?

No the problem started first.Then I updated my driver,but it didnt fix the problem.I then had to roll back the driver to resolve issues with other games not working.The problem was still there.You know the rest.....

If all else fails,try reinstalling directX,it cant hurt.

Captnbn - does your opponent see any sort of problem or just that you've disconnected ?

You need to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on the 'Task Manager' button and then the 'Processes' tab to check to see what is actually running. A background process rather than just a foreground application could be causing the problem.

The 'nv4_disp.dll' file is the name of the driver, but not its version. You can find out the version several ways. One way is to go to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > GeForce 4MX 420 tab > in the box below labelled 'driver version information', the last four digits of the version is the actual version (i.e. - 6.14.10.5664 is version 56.64).

Possibly uninstalling (from Add/Remove Programs control panel), rebooting and then installing whatever driver version (maybe the latest WHQL

Captnbn - does your opponent see any sort of problem or just that you've disconnected ?

You need to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on the 'Task Manager' button and then the 'Processes' tab to check to see what is actually running. A background process rather than just a foreground application could be causing the problem.

The 'nv4_disp.dll' file is the name of the driver, but not its version. You can find out the version several ways. One way is to go to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > GeForce 4MX 420 tab > in the box below labelled 'driver version information', the last four digits of the version is the actual version (i.e. - 6.14.10.5664 is version 56.64).

Possibly uninstalling (from Add/Remove Programs control panel), rebooting and then installing whatever driver version (maybe the latest WHQL from Nvidia) might help with this issue.

Also in these crashes, do you know who is hosting the TCP/IP game ? The fastest CPU will typically be doing the turn crunching. When the crash happens are you doing anything in particular, sending/crunching a turn or just moving around the battlefield issuing orders, etc. ?

Schrullenhaft,

I'll answer the last question first. He is usually hosting and I'm just sitting here watching the data transfer bar fill to red and then I get the dreaded "sound".

Driver version 6.13.10.2841 so version would be 28.41

I will check task manager and see if something is running like you suggest.

I'll also visit the Nvidia site for latest driver.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by no_one:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Snarker:

I have 9.0c already, but it was installed before I updated the vid driver. Do you remember if you upgraded your video driver before you started seeing the problem?

No the problem started first.Then I updated my driver,but it didnt fix the problem.I then had to roll back the driver to resolve issues with other games not working.The problem was still there.You know the rest.....

If all else fails,try reinstalling directX,it cant hurt. </font>

Captnbn - since you're playing CMBO and you only have a problem playing via TCP/IP, then you may also be running into the 'captured crew bug' (though I wouldn't have thought a crew would be captured by turn 6). Typically this bug manifests itself to those who a receiving the computed turn from the "generating" computer. On this turn a crew is captured and the movie plays out fine on the generating computer, but the data sent to the receiving computer is corrupted and an error sound is heard. On XP I guess an actual error screen is seen (Win9x just freezes).

If this is what you're running into then you will have to play the game via PBEM from the turn that is saved on the 'receiving' computer (yours in this case). This unfortunately requires you to replay the last turn. Once the crew is captured and seen (typically playing out a full turn or so), you can return to TCP/IP play. However this error can happen again once another crew is captured. CMBB & CMAK don't have this bug.

no_one - I'm not sure why only one scenario will generate this problem for you. Do you know what driver version you had and what videocard you have ? If you want to experiment further (with a good chance that there may be no quick solution to your problem - i.e. a lot of effort for no results) you may want to completely uninstall your video driver and reboot. Now install the preferred version of your driver and see how that works. I wouldn't necessarily think a particular rendering of something occurring in a scenario would cause CM to crash unless something else was going on in the background.

I think what the problem is is that I normally only play as the germans.Since I am playing as the russians,this is the only thing I can think as to why it is doing it.I am pretty sure that I have narrowed it down to the t-34's causing the problems.If I hit shift-V and cut vehicles off,the error doesnt happen nearly as often,or at all.

Is it possible that any of this is true?Might I be able to fix the problem by switching to a different t-34 mod?

I dont understand either.But thinking back,I vaguely remember having this same problem along time ago,and after modding the t-34's it stopped.

What I dont understand is why only this one scenario.I am playing in another one that has t-34's and the battle is taking place in steppe,and has had smoke screens being used as well.I am playing as the germans though.How strange.