WWI question

This may not be appropriate since this is a gaming forum dedicated to a WWII game, but some of you have displayed a wealth of military history knowledge. There are also other avenues of information gathering, but I thought I would try this one.

I have a grandfather who served in WWI, and I was doing some genealogy stuff. The only info I have is from a newspaper article and a few other small things.

Here is what I know.

He was in: the U.S. Army, Company L, 30th Infantry, 3rd Division

fought in: Champagne, Chateau-Thierry Campaign, Marne, Verdun

2 questions

1. 30th Infantry – was this a battalion or what?

2. Chateau-Thierry was a campaign, but what about the others? Campaigns or battles?

If battles, in what campaign?

edit:

July 14, 1917 – Chateau- Thierry drive began.

Company L started with 250 men, and lost 221. Only 17 of those survived. Anyone know if this is accurate?

'lost' may not mean killed. Could be POWs or wounded.

'Champagne, Chateau-Thierry, Marne, Verdun' are places in France where the Div will have fought. They could refer to the Div or Regts Battle Honours too, gained by being part of the action/battle/campaign there.

'30th Infantry' will be the regiment, composed of ?3? battalions (ABCD Coys => 1st Bn, EFGH => 2nd Bn, IK<blink>L</blink>M => 3rd Bn). Probably. Maybe. A WWI US Army grog should be along anytime now.

You could also try the Axis History Forum. Despite the name, there is a fairly functional collection of Allied and WWI forums there.

Jon

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by JonS:

'30th Infantry' will be the regiment, composed of ?3? battalions (ABCD Coys => 1st Bn, EFGH => 2nd Bn, IK<blink>L</blink>M => 3rd Bn). Probably. Maybe. A WWI US Army grog should be along anytime now.

I agree L Company / 3rd Battalion / 30th Regiment though usually there tends not to be an I Company obviously because of the possibility of mis-identification; so KLMN Companies in the 3rd Battalion of US Regiments.

Sorry I stand corrected I got cofussed myself just then between 'I' and 'J' but I should have qualified myself to be sure. That said I still think it was at times a bit ad hoc and different Regiments had different organisations even if at some point it was ever standedized. I'll do some proper checking. (The important thing regarding this thread is that we agree that L Company is usually in the 3rd Battalion of the 30th Regiment.)