Another Newbie: a question on ammo

Folks,

Just purchased CMAK and I'm completely amazed. By far the best war game I've every played. In fact it's what I've dreamed of in a war game.

I have a stoopid question on the game on ammo selection. I'm playing Blenhiem Blunder (armor only version). I have two platoons of tanks (Pz IIIs and IVs) in a draw on the left flank of the AI opponent. How does do you choose one type of ammon versus another in the game? I'm concerned about the Pz IVE's. Do you manually have to select AP versus HE ammo?

Colonel Warden

Hello and welcome in the Mediterranean Colonel Warden. I hope you brought a sunblocker and a kevlar vest. :D

As for your question:

The AI will select the ammo it thinks is suited best for the situation at hand. (in general: AP (or other antitank ammunition) vs. armored targets, HE against infantry, or buildings.

You can override the usual ammo selection in some cases, though.

For instance when targeting an area (see manual for details) the AI will always use HE, when available. Also when only a very limited amount of AP ammo is available (about 15) it will use HE vs. targets with thin armor and AP vs targets with heavy armor. (useful when setting up a battle in the editor with lots of HTs as enemies).

The tungsten (T) is only chosen if it is the only ammo that has a decent chance of penetrating the enemy armor.

wich is annoying sometimes since its a marginal decision from the AI... sometimes you want it to use the T round because it would certainly penetrate, but instead it uses the normal AP because it has a "decent" chance of penetration... and subsequently gets chewed up by the overpowering enemy...

but then again, sometimes it just takes the chance and throws a T towards the enemy and shows them what the word "overpenetration" means... *sigh*

yes, i have had instances where the crew has been hoarding their T rounds long enough to knock out all the enemy armor and then using the T round on light armor like AC and HT... wohooo...

on a similar vien... another noob question about ammo... playing around I set a german sniper to have an ammo level as 0... and set up few spitfires to strafe him :D basicly I wanted to watch the AI at work smile.gif see which terrain he liked most etc... smile.gif but when I started it up.. my jeep unit I placed in the map near him started getting shot at!? how is this possible seeing as tho he has no ammo? is it considered that there is a constant supply of ammo for a secondary weapon?

Re: ammo - another exception is smoke. A tank will choose smoke rounds if it is scared, otherwise you need to explicitly tell it to fire smoke.

Re: snipers - they are using their sidearms, which don't have any ammo representation.

Regards

JonS

Yes, but only at very short range, and very ineffectively. The same applies to Bazooka teams, FOs, mortars, MGs, etc. Basically, they have a very weak self defence capabilityy (something that was missing altogether in CMBO). Really, it is a change for the better.

Edit to clarify: they can't shoot their sniper rifle forever - when its ammo is depleted, that's it for that weapon.