british ariborne

hey ive just been playing round in the editor added a few red devils to a north african map and there in woodlandish camo, is this correct? Shouldnt they be a desert uniform like the rest of the british and comenwealth troops?

If there is no problem is a desert uniform mod for them as i assume they would have worn one in north africa?

IVe checked over at cmmods but they dont seem to have one, also if there is one avaialbe would that overright the camo they are wearing?

Originally posted by the_enigma:

Why where about where they deployed, ive read about some of there battles, a capture and hold operation on some airbase. Always asummed it was in the desert or such. :S?

Bône, Algeria --- 3rd Battalion, 1st Brigade. (I did a scenario on it, "Bad to the Bône").

3rd Batt was mobilized for the op so quickly (less than two weeks notice), that they jumped inot NA with their standard-issue Northern European uniforms. I think the other two battalions that went in later also wore the same uni. This was winter of 1942 remember --- and it gets damn cold in the desert at night. I'm sure they appreciated the Denison smock all the more then.

Oh, and if you want to read a really harrrowing account of the action faced by the British Paras in Tunisia, look up 2nd Battalion's raid on Depienne / Oudna: Abandoned 50 miles behind enemy lines, they where written off by the High Command --- but a certain Colonel John Frost (you may know that name) led them on a march through hostile territory to their own lines --- loosing 50% of the battalion along the way.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The airbourne units, IIRC were all deployed into Tunisia, which is much more heavily wooded than might be thought.

Depends on what was thought. There were little in the way of woods in the sense that we know them in Europe or North America, but there was a fair amount of cultivated land and that included some groves of various kinds. Wild trees were scrubby and sparse as they tended to be found on rugged hillsides unsuitable for farming.

Michael

Originally posted by von Lucke:

Oh, and if you want to read a really harrrowing account of the action faced by the British Paras in Tunisia, look up 2nd Battalion's raid on Depienne / Oudna: Abandoned 50 miles behind enemy lines, they where written off by the High Command --- but a certain Colonel John Frost (you may know that name) led them on a march through hostile territory to their own lines --- loosing 50% of the battalion along the way.

Funny you should mention that, I am currently playing a PBEM against Lars about that. I think it's called 'written off' too, the way things are going Lars will be lucky to have 50% of his troops left after attacking the airfield.