Auto save problems?

I read the review on Amazon and the reviewer sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. It also sounds like he is playing with a ridiculous number of units on very large maps.

In a Combat Mission game, you give your orders to your units and hit the go button. The computer then calculates the results to be displayed in a one-minute movie. If you play with the number of units the designers intended (roughly a reinforced inf. company with some tank support) on reasonably sized maps (approx. 2 sq. km or smaller), the turns don't take long to calculate - a minute or two at most on my obsolete 350 mhz Mac. I regularly play battalion sized engagements with no noticeable delays.

If you push the game's limits to the absolute edge, like the reviewer apparently did by putting 50 tanks on a huge map, turn calculation can take longer. I've never played a game that big so I don't know the exact amount of time required.

In any case, download the demo, play it, and decide for yourself. If you like it, buy it. If you think the demo scenarios are way too small and you want to play games that are 10 times larger, CM may not be for you.

Also, I think the review is confusing 'auto-save' and turn processing. Auto-save is where you can automatically restart the move when the game crashes/quits. This feature is absolutely positively bullet-proof.

He must be talking about generating turns whenever you hit the 'go' button. I just read a poster on another BFC board say he's played with three full battalions of infantry and 50 tanks on a 3km x 3km map! That's a man either with a very fast machine of a lot of patience. I've got a weeny little 300ghz machine and as long as I avoid the most 'Huge' scenarios I'm a happy man.

I designed and played a scen ("A Big One", IIRC only available in the zips of the old Scen Depot now at TSD2) with a btn of tanks each, 1.5 and 1 btn of inf and several other vehicles and guns on an open desert map with LOS at about 2k. If my 1.2 GHz/256 MB Pentium was clean (CMAK after boot, no stupid progs residing in memory so they start faster but everything else takes longer) the turns took up to 20 minutes to compute when everything was moving and some arty was coming down. But that was brigade-sized for each side on one of the worst possible maps (regarding calc time... I still like he map).

But then... 20 minutes to calc a turn ain't much compared to the 2 hours necessary to plot all moves :D

Gruß

Joachim

PS: "Auto save" for that battle was rather quick - despite PBEM file sizes exceeding 1MB.