Tank hunters

Omi

No they are guaranted to have one AT weapon which could be just a single Molotov Cocktail in CMBB.

Don't think Battlefront know about the British sticky bomb. So far they have all been seem to have SMG which for two men at close range is a lot of firepower but the British got the Sten late. Do the British have tank hunters in the game. I honestly have not looked or missed them?

"Don't think Battlefront know about the British sticky bomb".

Back in CMBB BFC said those generic 'sachel charges' could be any one of a number of manufactured/improvised explosive devices. I guess if it goes 'boom' then it'd be lumped in under the 'sachel charge' label

I believe dedicated German tank hunter teams are in the game because dedicated tank hunter teams were fielded by the German army (mostly on the Eastern Front no doubt). I can't think of a U.S. or Brit equivalent to a specially-trained Tank Hunter team. I don't think we should count the half of a split infantry squad that just happened to get the sachel charges as being equivalent.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"Don't think Battlefront know about the British sticky bomb".

Back in CMBB BFC said those generic 'sachel charges' could be any one of a number of manufactured/improvised explosive devices. I guess if it goes 'boom' then it'd be lumped in under the 'sachel charge' label

That would be fine, but for the CW armies only engineers (and pioneers?) can carry them. Regular infantry squads have absolutely no ability to carry 'special weapons'.

Regards

JonS

I know this might seem a little bit "gamey" but if youre in a quickbattle. Your tankhunters make out the perfect scouts. Small in number, fast and can run for long. Very cheap and well armed.

Perfect for running stretches to check if there might be enemy resistance along the strech youre about to move your platoon in.

And i can't tell you how many times ive done this and discovered when i've entered a forest ive seen enemy vehicles behind that ive taken out.

The German Tankhunters beat every single unit in the game as a scout unit. Even the sharpshooter (way to expensive)

If there are an ally equivalent i would say, A bar team. Its cheaper altough not as versatile.

Originally posted by haido:

The German Tankhunters beat every single unit in the game as a scout unit. Even the sharpshooter (way to expensive)

Sharpshooters get a gigantic stealth bonus though. Personally if i'm going to scout, i'd like something to survive initial contact. I've had sharp shooters hide 50m behind entire platoons, way behind enemy lines, without being seen the entire game. It's really 'gamey' but works. Tank Hunter teams can't do that, they don't get stealth bonus.

Perhaps maybe, but i use my scouts to scout ways of safe approach. I use them as cannon fooder in other words. And you have to consider the other factors. Weapon strength, with tank hunters you have ability to destroy some tanks, you can actually survive a contact with an enemy plutoon for a little while. You can hardly say that for a scout. Then consider the price you get 2(x11) tank hunters for 1(x22) scout. With that you even have the ability to search a wider area for enemy forces. You can even use your tank hunters to secure flanks and so on.

In both CMBB and CMAK none of the infantry really has much on hand to fight tanks with before zooks ans shreks show up (Don't the Russians have to soldier on for most of war with little more than Molotovs?). I wonder how common it would be for a normal Brit infantry squad to be toting around quantities of high explosive to chuck at passing tanks. I believe infantry was considered (at least early-on) to be just one piece of a combined-arms strategy, and that one piece wasn't expected to field is own anti-tank capability.

Er no, the big failing of the British Army was not to get the combined arms thing together - only the Germans manage that its called Blitzkreig. Yes, the infantry was meant to be supported by "Infantry Tanks", heavily armoured and weirdly equipped with a 2pdr gun that didn't fire HE rather than a field gun to blast their way through the defence lines, and so was rather useless in this role. This was more to do with a tight budget than some weird doctrinal idea.

Weirdly British Infantry doctrine for taking on tanks at the start of the war was comparable to a poacher bagging his catch.

The infantry didn't want AT guns, as they would fix them to one location, they wanted to sneak up on a tank and bag it. They had only just got the Boys AT Rifle and for that matter the Bren and 2inch mortar so they were already boys with toys as it were. The Boys AT Rifle could keep up with an mobile infantry tank and take on (just about) any known tank in service. The Boys team in CMAK is pretty comparable to the tank hunter team of the Germans with their Panzer Woof or what ever it is ;) .

There is a big gap when the Boys was no longer effective and the PIAT had not been developed and they had to make do with the sticky bomb. A tank hunter team with sticky bombs would be perfectly correct in this period. (I would suggest one man with a sten and another with a rifle would be realistic!)

However, the Infantry were then very grateful to get 2pdr hand me-downs from the Royal Artillery. At the end of the war (Feb 1945) in Italy they once again dumped their then 6pdrs as they were once again on the offence and the static 6pdr was a bit useless in this role(and the gunners could make up some of the casualties in the ranks.)

Both the German and Russian tank hunters in CMBB are not a strict part of the Battalion formation, but a couple of men from the platoon, told to go off on patrol and ambush that tank down the road. Why they have SMGs and not rifles is for Battlefront to justify!

[ January 16, 2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gallear ]