Another topic about split squads in defense

I read that a squad ,in defense, can cover a maximal frontage of several hundred metres (up to 500 metres but it doesn't seems to be a WWII figure).

A squad, in CM, occupy an area of -say- a 20 metres disc radius.

In order to cover a larger area , is the splitting squad considered gamey in defense?

Don't know why it would be gamey. In addition to covering more angles, you give the enemy the appearance of having more troops than you really do. This is particularly true when the FOW is set to Extreme. But as you know, I'm sure, a split squad is more likely to panic and break. I used this tactic effectively in CMBB's Totenkopf scenario to check the Russian assault across the fields, using a fairly minimal German force.

Um, a squad covers that distance by shooting that far with its rifles and especially by its LMG, not by physically being spread that wide. There is no point.

If you string together squad positions along a front and there are 1000 yards and 4 squads, then you can cover everything with LMG and rifle fire at ranges of 200 yards or less, laterally.

That is the sort of calculation meant.

Would they actually split to teams? Sure, though realistically the MG team is the one that does most of the work.

The outnumbered enemy unit could be a problem, since we used to think that an "infantry" represent full squad.

In this case, indicating the number of spotted men from infantry unit would be better.

I don't know how the 1:1 representation in CM:SF would solve the problem : maybe by showing men who doesn't belong to any unit (then it shows a "soldier?" state when you select it)?

Otherwise, is it more realistic to split a squad in building for covering over 360 degrees , than let the squad cover only one side of the bulding?

P.S: Is the use of split squad against one full squad tactics for good and for once considered as gamey? I am too lazy to read the 15 pages ;) . I just remembered the SMG half squad agaisnt full squad test, which it seems to me flawed ;) .

[ August 01, 2006, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Darkmath ]

TheBlackHand

This tactics was discussed and considered by some as gamey.

Finally, this tips is a way to simulate empty foxhole in order to disturb the attacker, or simply simulate fall back position ;) .

But I think you can do this as well manually on the map by using alt-F during deployment phase.

Split squad is not neccesary then.

However, split squad is useful when you want to make a wider defense frontage.

Hmmm, thanks for that info. I won't start a whole new thread on the topic, but for me, it isn't gamey.

I mean, if you were planning a defense in real life you'd build alternate/fallback fighting positions, provided you had the time. In a "Defense" scenario in CM, why shouldn't you be able to do the same?