Monty Python in the Western Desert

Brujay

Originally posted by Determinant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

The Matilda II coax is listed as a Besa, with a Vickers as an alternate on the very early machines, but I doubt that it was the water cooled Vickers.

Michael

Is there any other kind of Vickers?[/QB]</font>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Matilda II coax is listed as a Besa, with a Vickers as an alternate on the very early machines, but I doubt that it was the water cooled Vickers.

Michael

Is there any other kind of Vickers?

I think that squeezing MGs into AFVs is harder than it sounds. The modern example of the Warrior IFV is a case in point. The co-axial MG is a 7.62 Hughes chain-gun. They had to put it in upside down or on its side or some such nonsense (it wouldn't fit otherwise) and it doesn't always feed quite as it should in consequence.

[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

...As long as you don't object to your tea tasting of gun oil and cordite.

:D

Michael [/QB]

You probably won't notice by the time you're used to tea tainted by the taste of petrol from the cans you carry your water in! ;)

Many thanks for the note about the Vickers K. I am ashamed (blushes deeply) but, up until you set me straight, I had been confusing the Vickers K with the Lewis gun seen festooning SAS jeeps. Dumber than a box of spanners. That's me.

Presumably if the Vickers K is the same as the infantry model just less the water jacket, so no changeable barrel, it must have suffered from overheating?

...As long as you don't object to your tea tasting of gun oil and cordite.

:D

Michael

You probably won't notice by the time you're used to tea tainted by the taste of petrol from the cans you carry your water in! ;)

Many thanks for the note about the Vickers K. I am ashamed (blushes deeply) but, up until you set me straight, I had been confusing the Vickers K with the Lewis gun seen festooning SAS jeeps. Dumber than a box of spanners. That's me.

Presumably if the Vickers K is the same as the infantry model just less the water jacket, so no changeable barrel, it must have suffered from overheating? [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Vickers 'K' machinegun

Thanks for that flamingknives. Very interesting. It was the drum magazines that made me think that I was looking at Lewis guns. There is of course absolutely no resemblance whatsoever between the Lewis gun and the Vickers K apart from the fact that they both use (quite dissimilar) drum magazines.

That's the kind of thing that has made me the commentator that I am today. How I have escaped recruitment as a 'military expert' on the TV news is anyone's guess...

They certainly used a lot of those those too as well as different models of Brownings. I notice in both photographs and descriptions, SAS vehicles often mounted two different types of MG. In fact, armament seems to have been very idiosyncratic and probably derived from a combination of whatever could be scrounged up from the shops and armories of Cairo and personal preferences of the crews.

Presumably if the Vickers K is the same as the infantry model just less the water jacket, so no changeable barrel, it must have suffered from overheating?
No, no. The two MGs are really not the same at all. As you know, the infantry model in addition to being water cooled is belt fed and IIRC has an action based on the Maxim design. The K is drum fed and again uses a different action based on the Berthier MG (gas operated as opposed to blowback). It also has a much higher ROF, ~1,000 as opposed to ~500 rpm. As I said earlier, it was originally designed to provide defensive firepower for aircraft.

Michael

• 1 year later...

i think some of you are generalizing waaaaay too much, different tanks and nations had different ways of sighting etc.

for example

the bow MG on a Panzer III had a telescopic sight

the bow MG on a Stuart V didn't have a sight at all, the gunner was to aim with the tracers

the bow MG on a T-34 was aimed by iron sights through a small hole in the armored shield of the gun

example 2

a vehicle mounted .50 is on a unstable pintle mount ( although some [maybe even most] mounts did include the fine adjustment gear, it would be my guess that to make them fire and acquire targets as quickly as they do in CM this fine adjustment gear was disconnected to facilitate mobility of the gun mount )

a tripod infantry .50 is on a fully adjustable tripod that allows for minute changes in elevation etc.

example 3

the half track mounted MG-42 is also on an unstable pintle mount

the infantry sMG-42 has a VERY stable tripod that includes recoil-absorbing features to further stablize the mount

[ October 18, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Denwad ]

Originally posted by Denwad:

a vehicle mounted .50 is on a unstable pintle mount ( although some [maybe even most] mounts did include the fine adjustment gear, it would be my guess that to make them fire and acquire targets as quickly as they do in CM this fine adjustment gear was disconnected to facilitate mobility of the gun mount )

What do you mean by "unstable"? That would suggest to me that it was hard to hold on target while firing. And what do you mean by "fine adjustment gear"? These are terms I have not heard applied in this context before.

Michael

A tripod-mounted machinegun comes equipped with a Traverse and Elevation mechanism. (We called it the "T&E" for short.)

This may be what some people are referring to here. It clamps onto the gun and the crossbar of the tripod, which itself is marked like a ruler, and has wheels with numbers on them which you can turn to aim the gun at pre-set (area) targets, so you can hit a piece of landscape even if it's obscured by smoke or during what the Army refers to as "Hours of Limited Visibility" or what sensible people call nighttime.

You make a Range Card if you're in a defense, on which you write the T&E settings for various targets. (You can't read it at night, so remember how many clicks of the wheel to turn, etc.)

You can remove the T&E to use the gun flexibly on its tripod pintle mount.

I never knew pintle mounted MG's on vehicles had anything like that, though.

Originally posted by Aco4bn187inf:

A tripod-mounted machinegun comes equipped with a Traverse and Elevation mechanism. (We called it the "T&E" for short.)

That's what I thought he meant too, but I didn't want to put words in his mouth in case he has something else in mind. In any case, I think the choice of the word "unstable" is misleading. The whole point of having a mount at all, aside from always knowing where the gun is, is that it holds the gun stablely while it is being fired.

Michael