** More Tiger Mod Mania - Tiger early for Italy released! **

Ready for download now at http://www.cmmods.com : an early production Tiger for the Italian theater. Modeled after sPzAbt 504 vehicles in Siciily, kind of. It's plain dark yellow mainly because I'm too lazy and impatient to paint a camouflage pattern. I've added cool track links on the turret because they look cool, but there's an option to not have them if that makes you happy. smile.gif

Edited to add: It should work ok in CMBB with no renumbering.

tiger_early_italy.jpg

[ June 29, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Hi Andrew,

I have started to play with your modders version, as one might have expected. But I have run into a small problem:

This is the early version. In CMAK, does this reflect vehicles built early '43 until somewhere 3rd quarter of the same year? If so, it would mean I should not put any zimmerit on, right? If my memory serves me correct, zimmerit started to be applied in September '43. About the same time as the mid version started to appear(game-wise).

Am I correct in this issue, or someone could please enlighten me?

Originally posted by Gurra:

Hi Andrew,

I have started to play with your modders version, as one might have expected. But I have run into a small problem:

This is the early version. In CMAK, does this reflect vehicles built early '43 until somewhere 3rd quarter of the same year? If so, it would mean I should not put any zimmerit on, right? If my memory serves me correct, zimmerit started to be applied in September '43. About the same time as the mid version started to appear(game-wise).

Am I correct in this issue, or someone could please enlighten me?

I think you're correct, but I'm not a German tank expert, so there's a slim chance I could be wrong. I'm working on a mid production version and that could have Zimmerit on it. smile.gif

If memory serves me right, Zimmerit was applied from September 1943 to early September 1944. It was discontinued due to a combination of inaccurate reports of it catching fire when struck & the expense & time of applying it. Two coats were applied at the factory (each of which took 24 hours to set & dry).

Gurra: Looking forward to playing with your mod of Andrew's Tiger (if it's released that is...).

[ July 02, 2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Actually, they tested if Zimmerit would catch fire when being shot at. The conclusion was: it did not. I think it is more likely they had not enouhg time to let the Zimmerit dry because every tank was needed immediately at the front. On the other hand there seem to have been a few Panther G´s (late version) with Zimmerit applied, though I haven´t found any photographs yet, just painted pictures from books. Maybe just a misinterpretation - wouldn´t been the first time.

But another story tells Zimmerit was discontinued because the Germans realized they were the only ones to use magnetic AT mines on a large scale, anyway and therefore they didn´t need it. After all, it made the tanks even heavier than before, too...

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

Actually, I don´t criticize much, but I think the textures are actually wrong in one aspect: Should there not be an additional pistol port instead of the escape hatch - or am I mistaken gravely?

You're not mistaken. We're both right. The later early production Tigers had the escape hatch installed, so I chose to include it on this mod. You'll notice the green 501 Tiger mod has two pistol ports. It's also an option in the modders' kit version.

smile.gif

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

OK, I didn´t notice, actually. Maybe I should look more closely at the options. SO now I just have to work out how to add a camo pattern to your base textures. Any suggestions? ;)

Go get yourself a painting program (Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro; some masochists have been known to use MS Paint) and paint away. Use different blending modes to allow the underlying textures to show through. There are some modding tutorials out there on the Web. Zimorodok has a good one on his Web site: .

smile.gif