Trenches in wheatfield cheat

I noticed that if your opponent places trenches in a wheatfield, you can tell where they are even when you don't have LOS by where there are no grain doodads.

Useful? Being able to tell where the enemy's trenches are usually means being able to tell where you can find some enemies. >_>

trenches_cheat.png

In this picture...well, in front of the building there's a line with no grain (long Junk2Drive grass, in this case) doodads. I later found trenches following this line.

I noticed that if your opponent places trenches in a wheatfield, you can tell where they are even when you don't have LOS by where there are no grain doodads.

Useful? Being able to tell where the enemy's trenches are usually means being able to tell where you can find some enemies. >_>

trenches_cheat.png

In this picture...well, in front of the building there's a line with no grain (long Junk2Drive grass, in this case) doodads. I later found trenches following this line.

I'm not so sure that's a cheat.

Think about it. If you dig trenches in a wheatfield, even if the grain is long at certain times of day there's going to be a pronounced shadow in the grain, even if you can't see the trench directly.

What you're doing is looking at the terrain and detecting an irregularity, and guessing from that irregularity that there may be something behind it.

That's not cheating, that's commonsense.

It also hust happens to be the founding principle behind the use of aerial photography in archaeology, but that's another story.

I'm not so sure that's a cheat.

Think about it. If you dig trenches in a wheatfield, even if the grain is long at certain times of day there's going to be a pronounced shadow in the grain, even if you can't see the trench directly.

What you're doing is looking at the terrain and detecting an irregularity, and guessing from that irregularity that there may be something behind it.

That's not cheating, that's commonsense.

It also hust happens to be the founding principle behind the use of aerial photography in archaeology, but that's another story.

I'm not too fond of the fact that you can see things on the map that are outside of your line of sight. From my dim recollections of Steve's comments I think you're supposed to think of it as fragments of recon reports from before the scenario started. If we can accept that in the spirit of the game, then noting irregularities in the way grass or trees grow, or remembering that someone reported seeing something to that effect on an earlier patrol, is infantry commonsense 101.

Then again, not walking slowly with your men drawn up shoulder to shoulder into machinegun fire is probably cheating and a gamey exploit as well.

I'm not too fond of the fact that you can see things on the map that are outside of your line of sight. From my dim recollections of Steve's comments I think you're supposed to think of it as fragments of recon reports from before the scenario started. If we can accept that in the spirit of the game, then noting irregularities in the way grass or trees grow, or remembering that someone reported seeing something to that effect on an earlier patrol, is infantry commonsense 101.

Then again, not walking slowly with your men drawn up shoulder to shoulder into machinegun fire is probably cheating and a gamey exploit as well.

Interesting. I never noticed that before. Basically it's just one of the quirks of the game that we have no choice but to accept. I wouldn't call it cheating because (now that it's been pointed out) the opponent probably will note this effect wether he's looking for it or not.

By the way, in that screenshot, nice place for a TRP! Ha ha!

Interesting. I never noticed that before. Basically it's just one of the quirks of the game that we have no choice but to accept. I wouldn't call it cheating because (now that it's been pointed out) the opponent probably will note this effect wether he's looking for it or not.

By the way, in that screenshot, nice place for a TRP! Ha ha!

Look at it from a different way,you can use this too fool your opponent too.

Did that in an onionwar battle.

I created a network of trenches in front of my lines with some barbed wire.

2 Fo's a 152mm and a rocketspotter dumped their ammo in no mans land,killing only grass and trees smile.gif

After they were ready with shooting I remanned the trenches ....giving him a nasty surprise.

2 Fo's a 152mm and a rocketspotter dumped their ammo in no mans land,killing only grass and trees smile.gif

After they were ready with shooting I remanned the trenches ....giving him a nasty surprise.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

In Antony Beevor's "Berlin - The Downfall 1945" he reports on how the Russian artillery fell on the first line of German trenches, which were empty. As the Russians assaulted, they were cut to pieces by the remanned first line and the second line of trenches.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

In Antony Beevor's "Berlin - The Downfall 1945" he reports on how the Russian artillery fell on the first line of German trenches, which were empty. As the Russians assaulted, they were cut to pieces by the remanned first line and the second line of trenches.

Yup,that was generalll Heinrici.

A very good defensive general.

His best results were at the Seelow heigts.

The Russians lost a lot of armor there.

He had a good feeling of when the Russians would start their barrages and acted upon that feeling,although that was what the book said smile.gif

Yup,that was generalll Heinrici.

A very good defensive general.

His best results were at the Seelow heigts.

The Russians lost a lot of armor there.

He had a good feeling of when the Russians would start their barrages and acted upon that feeling,although that was what the book said smile.gif

Yes the war is still on,we Emerald warriors are recovering now from the low and dishonorable attacks from the Salmons.

As we speak our forces are driving them back,our victorious generals have trouble to advance faster than the pinks retreat ;)

We will winn this war!!

Hail to our glorious leader!!!

Btw we need you to do service in the Emerald army too.

Yes the war is still on,we Emerald warriors are recovering now from the low and dishonorable attacks from the Salmons.

As we speak our forces are driving them back,our victorious generals have trouble to advance faster than the pinks retreat ;)

We will winn this war!!

Hail to our glorious leader!!!

Btw we need you to do service in the Emerald army too.