suggestion for new order/request for advice

I'm playing a PBEM and my foolish opponent is starting of the game by walking his men across an open field right towards my hidden HMG. I'm wondering what is the best way to make the most of this situation.

Ideally, I would like to have a command like a cover arc that sets a "trigger line". The unit stays hidden until an enemy crosses that line. This way, my enemy will expose many men (hopefully) and be out in the middle of the field before my HMG reveals himself.

However, unlike a cover arc, the unit wouldn't be ordered to continue firing only at units that happen to be in the arc. Once he opens fire, my HMG could choose any target in view.

So since there is no way to do this in CMBB AFAIK, I have a simple cover arc and will need to wait until the end of the turn that the HMG reveals himself to cancel the arc and target the entire area. Is this the best way to maximize my advantage? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

...I have a simple cover arc and will need to wait until the end of the turn that the HMG reveals himself to cancel the arc and target the entire area.

I think you are already doing better than a real life commander would be able to do with his troops. You are able to specify exactly where you want your MG to open fire, which a RL commander would not be able to do in most cases unless he were very near the MG. And within a minute or less you will be able to issue a completely new order, which again a RL commander would probably not be able to do except under special circumstances.

Given that it has always been BFC's intent to make as realistic a game as possible, I think they have already been very lenient with the players in this regard.

Michael

In RL, the MG opens up and everybody will try to run back to cover or pin.

In CM, the beaten squads go down, some advance, some pin, some run for cover.

After the turn, you can change your firing arc - and your opponent can withdraw his men. Both want to do it in mid-turn (guess your opponent is wondering "I want a SOP to withdraw once my men hit an ambush"). Both have to wait till the end of the turn. Both are hampered the same way.

Conclusion:

Overall effects should be about the same as in RL.

Gruß

Joachim

Hmm. Sounds like he wants a return of the Ambush marker from CMBO. That's OK, I miss it sometimes, too. :(

Actually, it's not all that far-fetched of an idea. In a proper ambush, you let your kill zone fill up with enemy before firing, not just open up when the first guy pokes his head out (or into your covered arc). In CMBO, you could have a bunch of units keying off of the same Ambush marker. When it's tripped, they open up on the highest priority target in their LOS. This could mean some AT team might be closest to you, but you're going to try and take out the MG 50m behind them first. Of course, in CMBO the most annoying part of this was the tendency of the TacAI to fire at guys you didn't want them to fire at!

The cover arc works OK in CMBB once you get used to it. Not being able to target units outside the CA only affects you for less than 60 seconds, which (while still not ideal) is not too bitter a pill to swallow.