Ampolument and 'fire' issues

Ampolument are the small mortars that shoot a flame projectile. In the manual it is specificly stated that they weren't very effective during engagements. I did a bit of testing with them.

Most usual tests, against armour and other things. I noticed, however, that it is very difficult to start a fire with one of these things.

I made the most misrable conditions possible: August '43, Hot, Very Dry, Windy (and I tested with Still just incase of blowout factor.).

I unloaded all my Ampolument into the field and each time I did, I got at minimum of 1 small fire, with one time not getting any fire (!!!) at all. 15 x 20 = 300 rounds or so, all spread out on a large field (so not to concentrate them too much). I'm not too educated on Ampolument use or how big the canisters were, but the chance of fire seems ridiculously slim, even in the harshest conditions possible.

I could understand a balance adjustment (launching a flame canister 250m then causing huge brush fires is pretty nice for only 21 points or so), so is that the case in this situation? Or were Ampolument really that useless?

[ April 08, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: securityguard ]

Fires have serious problems in the game IMHO.

1. Tanks burn too rarely. And this cannot be a game balance problem, because it has no effect on surroundings.

2. It is very-very hard to light any kind of fire. This may be a game balance issue though. Game commanders would not hesitate to burn down entire villages or towns. Although in real life sometimes troops did not hesitate either.

If you are talking purely of the fire issue I have been able to light numerous fires with FT and even a couple with molotov cocktails. I have also noticed that forest burns much brighter and spreads. This is just an obversation and I haven't done any real tests so that might be one thing to look at; differences in tiles burning.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

If you are talking purely of the fire issue I have been able to light numerous fires with FT and even a couple with molotov cocktails. I have also noticed that forest burns much brighter and spreads. This is just an obversation and I haven't done any real tests so that might be one thing to look at; differences in tiles burning.

Just a thought.

wouldnt you think lush, dusty wheat would cash on fire the easiest? forest maybe more dense in terms of foilage, though.

What we are talking about is an area of 400 square meters (one tile) becoming completely impassable in a matter of minutes, due to being bombarded with some one-liter molotov cocktails (that's what Ampulomets are loaded with). Sure, there will be lots of small patches of burning gasoline, but that doesn't affect troop movement or visibility in a major way and therefore it is not displayed (graphics performance would suffer badly from a hundred fires, too, I guess). Same goes for buildings - burning one to the ground is harder than you think; most importantly, it takes much longer than a CM battle lasts.

If you doubt that, you can easily try this at home. Be sure to evacuate the cat before you do.

Originally posted by Zarquon

Same goes for buildings - burning one to the ground is harder than you think; most importantly, it takes much longer than a CM battle lasts.

True, I was thinking the same thing. As a youth I dabbled a bit with the whole burning-random-stuff. A molotov cocktail thrown in the road burns for quite awhile...far longer than my buddy and I planned. But that was on asphalt so there was no spreading.

As far as the wheat field, those do seem to be un-realistically fire-proof. But in terms of sheer combustible material the forest would have more bang for your buck over that namby-pamby wheat field.