best ww2 fiction

Hi,

What do you lot think is the best ww2 fiction out there?I used to love the leo kessler wotan stuff but I never seem to see them nowadays and since getting into the game I've had a hankering to read them again I've read a few sven hassel but I find these a bit too far fetched any other stuff you think is good?

Hell Has No Heroes

It is really non-fiction but it is written as fiction

it is the account of a D-Day landing on a Duplex Drive Sherman from someone who was THERE.

They are a lucky crew and stick with the Sherm right through the ETO and they meet Piper head on at Bastonage.

it is the BEST Story of a US tank crew in the ETO I have ever read.

I HIGHLY recommend it!

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by sonar:

... I used to love the leo kessler wotan stuff ... I've read a few sven hassel but I find these a bit too far fetched ...

LOL - I used to read them both, and after a while figured they were much-of-a-muchness, though the KeSSler books are shorter.

If you liked Kessler, try Charles Whiting. If you want to give Hassels style another go, try Sajer.

As for finding them, I seem to see more than I want to when browsing through second hand book shops.

Regards

JonS

"Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sager or Sajer

"Cross of Iron" by Willi Heinreich

the alternate histories of the "In the Balance" series by Harry Turtledove are interesting.

another "what if" that was very interesting was "SS/GB" by Len Deighton.

Gee, most of the WW II fiction I've read has been about naval warfare. I did read Battlecry by Leon Uris and The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer a long, long time ago. I gave up on Sajer after about 10 pages. I've read a few novels about the air war too.

Michael

Ah! I just remembered (how could I have forgotten): The Guns of Navarone by Allister Maclaine (sorry if I've misspelled his name). It's a little bit over the top in that his characters seem like super heroes at times, but still a great read and is probably the best book from this author.

Michael

When reading "Guns from Navarone" follow that up with "Force 10 from Navarone". It's just as "superman" like as is its predecessor, but an easy read nevertheless. Also catch both movies. They are just as easy to see.

If your into naval warfare and not scared of some "castle romance" grab a few of Douglas Reemans books.

Mies