Which directions do troops rout to?

AFAIK troops will almost always rout in the direction of the "friendly" map edge, as defined in the scenario parameters. In some cases, troops will rout in the direction of a neutral map edge, if the edge happens to be quite close. Check your scenario parameters to see how they are setup for friendly map edges, and that may answer your question.

There are default friendly map edges that are used every time in QBs and are the default setup for new scenarios. For example, in N Africa, the Axis always have the West side and the Allies always have the East side, even if it's US vs Germany.

Then, another question would be: are you definitely talking about routing, or about troops that are pinned and sneaking (what has been called cover panic)?

I have seen instances in which a unit will truly be in rout condition and run toward the enemy. I'm not sure why but it may be a FOW effect. That is, the routed unit may be confused about where fire is coming from, or where it is dangerous to run, and is simply making a bad decision. Why that would be happening a lot in particular scenarios is beyond my ability to guess.