Sturmtiger / Sturmpanzer

Any of you guys ever battled an enemy with 1 or 2 of these?

Heh hadn't until now. Man those are insane.

A blast of over 2000 I mean....

I can see that they must be awesome to take care of infantry in buildings.

Although, as this pictures shows, loading isn't exactly the fastest thing in the world on these things:

sttig_ld.jpg

[ January 12, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]

How could the two guys in the picture hold 1 of those shells? They weighed over 500 pounds!
Hehe, those blokes aren't holding it, they're just guiding it, so the cranedriver won't make the shell's detonator hit the side of the Brummbär's armor a bit too rough. :D (But seriously, I really haven't got a clue if that will make the shell explode)

Don't anyone notice the wire that's holding up the shell? I guess the two guys are only there to ensure that the shell doesn't turn around while the guy on the tank is raising the shell with his little crane. Looks like they will insert the shell throught the top of the superstructure later on as they have opened a hatch there.

This must be the procedure for loading the shells into the tank in the first place and not between shots as they would stock all the shells within the tank itself.

Yup I think so too. BTW how could you other guys miss the crane and the wire?

Anyway, check this link for more info. Use babelfish to translate it if you want:

http://www.go2war2.nl/landmacht/_voertuigen-gepantserd/dui_sturmtiger/artikel.htm

After you've fired one shot with this tank, be prepared to wait a couple of minutes before you can fire again. Just try it in a scenario.

Oh and yes it's expensive.

Originally posted by Cogust:

This must be the procedure for loading the shells into the tank in the first place and not between shots as they would stock all the shells within the tank itself.

[ January 12, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]

Originally posted by Mr.Poisz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> How could the two guys in the picture hold 1 of those shells? They weighed over 500 pounds!

Hehe, those blokes aren't holding it, they're just guiding it, so the cranedriver won't make the shell's detonator hit the side of the Brummbär's armor a bit too rough. :D (But seriously, I really haven't got a clue if that will make the shell explode)</font>

Originally posted by Cogust:

Don't anyone notice the wire that's holding up the shell? I guess the two guys are only there to ensure that the shell doesn't turn around while the guy on the tank is raising the shell with his little crane. Looks like they will insert the shell throught the top of the superstructure later on as they have opened a hatch there.

If I remember correctly, the access hatch is actually at the rear of the fighting compartment (not in the roof). The Hatch pivots from the top though. So once the round is high enough, the crew will swivel the crane to the left (as we see it) and push the round forward whilst lowering it.

I'd choose a Sturmpanzer over a Sturmtiger 9 out of 10 times. The Sturmtigers are great to watch but their ammunition loadout is severly limited ( about 18 rounds - I think ), they take 4-5 turns to reload & finally; they bog too bloody easily making them almost useless. The Stupa ( Wehrmact nickname for the Sturmpanzer ) is much more useful. It carries a lot more ammunition, doesn't bog nearly as easily ( in my experience ) & reloads every turn.

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

The Sturmtigers are great to watch but their ammunition loadout is severly limited ( about 18 rounds - I think ), they take 4-5 turns to reload ...

They have 14 rockets.

With an average reload time of 4 minutes that's 13*4=52 minutes of non-stop firing! ;)

Compare that to how long it takes the Brummbär to deplete it's ammo storage...

Cheers

Olle