Here we go again — it's the thread of Cheery Refreshing Waffling Monkeys

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken to playing Railroad Tycoon 3, maggots. CMAK better get here soon, because RT3 is angry only in a Dave H kinda way. The 3d trains are neat, but no feckin' spoldies except for the occasional fiery crash. Maybe I'll buy Sim City the Umpteenth and unleash Godzirra for S&Gs.

Originally posted by Becket:

Hey DaveH, have you heard the big spoiler from the Matrix Revolutions?

This time, there is a spoon.

<h2>NOOOO!!!!</h2>

You take that back right now! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm planning on seeing it in the next few days. The way the distributor has the movie plastered on thousands upon thousands of screens world-wide, in a couple of weeks everyone who is going to see it will have seen it. I don't expect it to stay in theaters very long, with all the holiday movies coming up.

One time recently I read how it was to the distributor's advantage for a movie to have a huge opening, then fall off quickly to be replaced by another huge opening. The distributor gets a much higher percentage of the take for the first week, so the ideal (for the distributor) is to have a new movie opening every week. Movies "with legs" that keep running actually hurt the distributor's potential bottom line.

So the production companies grind out recycled chipped beef on toast, hype the "Coming Attractions" like the second coming of Christ, but once the movie opens the advertising for it all but evaporates. The industry doesn't want to make movies so good they stay in the theaters for months. As soon as the movie is yanked from the theaters, then the DVDs can hit the market. The rights for HBO or Showtime kick in, too.

GRRRR!! :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Cookie Monster:

Could someone explain to me what this thread and it's predecessor have to do with the CMBB forum?

Please remember the purpose of this thread was, is, and forever shall be to keep MasterGoodale from taking over the entire forum. We seem to have misplaced the worthless maggot somewhere, but we do not let a minor detail like that deter us from our common goal.

If we have, in some small way, taken some of the luster and grogdom away from the CMBB forum, well, I'm pretty sure it's Seanachai's fault. :D:D

Dave, that's basically true. Everyone wants a big opening then they gear up for the DVD market. The only caveat is the really monster earners -- the studios would rather have a $300 million earner because it's huge in theaters and will be enormous on DVD. But for the run of the mill movie that does $100 million or so in receipts, or less, they want to get all of that in the first few weeks, then have the movie go to video.

Originally posted by Dave H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cookie Monster:

Could someone explain to me what this thread and it's predecessor have to do with the CMBB forum?

Please remember the purpose of this thread was, is, and forever shall be to keep MasterGoodale from taking over the entire forum. We seem to have misplaced the worthless maggot somewhere, but we do not let a minor detail like that deter us from our common goal.

If we have, in some small way, taken some of the luster and grogdom away from the CMBB forum, well, I'm pretty sure it's Seanachai's fault. :D:D </font>

For anyone with more than a passing interest in the movie business I can thoroughly recommend "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" by Peter Biskind. A highly illuminating (if thoroughly depressing) account of how the '70s auteurs had it all and contrived to throw it away.

In creative terms, George Lucas is Darth Vader … let's hope there is some redemption for him and some respite for his audiences.

Teddy

Originally posted by Nero's Cat:

I have to confess to finding it somewhat ironic that this thread is created (with laudable intentions IMHO, it has to be said) to keep Master Goodale from seeping out all over the forum and now you're bemoaning the fact that he's never around! And by my reckoning, he's only been gone 3 days, at that!

Not that anyone's really moaning, but you know what I mean? :confused: ;)

Who the feck wants to have MasterCheesewizz around??!! :mad: All we want iz his turns, so we can humiliate him more! :mad:

Hey, Jim Henson!!!! Less Sesame, more Send-to-me. Capice? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited to say I didn't check my in box yet, so here's hoping I'm not brushing my teeth with that new 'Foot in Mouth' toothpaste all the politicians use.

[ November 07, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Turns out to everyone, turns out, turns out.

DaveH continues to be quite evil. His artillery killed a tank commander from about 100m away.

Axe and I are still herding cats near PiggDogg's farm. Honestly, the place just gives me the creeps.

Abbott, PBEM helper says I sent a turn on Oct. 31. Did you get it, or do I need to re-send?

Teddy, I'll have to have TiVo search for that documentary, though it may not be on TV on this side of the pond. Someday, when I have time, I need to read Tom Shippey's book on JRRT.

Everyone Else: :mad: :mad: :mad: