Any news on OS X compatibility

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for the past year or so but lost the thread on this a while back. Is there any new news on this matter? Is battlefront working on a similar new game that will be OS X compatible? I miss playing on my desktop which no longer boots in OS 9 since i upgraded my processor. It's just not the same playing on a laptop.

Albert Labrador

Manila, Philippines

Originally posted by labrador:

That's great news. Any time line for a release? In the meantime, Has anyone figured out how to get the graphics going in classic?

Albert

Around two years this was said Jan 11th 2003. In the meantime CMAK is a very nice little stocking filler to keep us all amused until Chrimbo 2005 :D

No go for CMBB in classic, it works very roughly for CMBO - Just boot into OS9 for the best results

Originally posted by Panzerman:

Yeah no go, maybe under Panther there will be more luck. :D

I think someone tried it under Panther and said it was no-go.

As to whether or not CMII will work under X, may depend on what changes are made in X before CMII is released. That's what boggled it before, and Jobs has been known to lead Apple on some pretty unpredictable turns. And it could even be out of his hands if MS succeeds in sabotaging OpenGL.

Michael

Originally posted by Panzerman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

Yeah no go, maybe under Panther there will be more luck. :D

I think someone tried it under Panther and said it was no-go.

</font>

CMBB doesn't work with Panther from my tests BUT I do get much farther along than I did under any previous OS X version.

I can actually see the map and units, although all trees and doodads are gone, along with all the control buttons. What is displayed looks fine and at full resolution (1280 x 1024 in my case)

I can't move the map or get any response from the game, but it is a step in the right direction.

The screen shot I took turned up junk.

Gyrene

Hmm, too bad. I know I though I wouldn't upgrade to OSX but then we got some free copies because my Dad is a teacher and I put it on my Machine and I like it more than I thought; Jaguar is much better than the earlier ones and so I stuck with it. Now I don't play CM as much but I guess thats the price I paid for doing it.

[ July 16, 2003, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Heh. I may know how you feel. I bought a copy of Jaguar a year ago when it first came out, but have never gotten around to putting it on my machine. I feel like an idiot. My overt reason for not loading it is that I don't have any software that requires it to run and some programs I own probably wouldn't run under it. Since I have a Mac that is still dual-boot, that really ought not to be a problem though, and I know down deep in my heart that the real reason is that I don't want to have to go through the laborious process of having to find my way through the vagaries of a whole new OS.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Heh. I may know how you feel. I bought a copy of Jaguar a year ago when it first came out, but have never gotten around to putting it on my machine. I feel like an idiot. My overt reason for not loading it is that I don't have any software that requires it to run and some programs I own probably wouldn't run under it. Since I have a Mac that is still dual-boot, that really ought not to be a problem though, and I know down deep in my heart that the real reason is that I don't want to have to go through the laborious process of having to find my way through the vagaries of a whole new OS.

Michael

I was a die hard OS 9 supporter and I actually had to force myself to use OS X for a straight month before I got used to it (And that was back in the early 10.0.4 days).

OS X is absolutely worth your time to learn and really not that bad to figure out - What you gain far outweighs what you leave behind in OS 9, and with a dual boot system you can always go back.

Gyrene

Originally posted by Gyrene:

OS X is absolutely worth your time to learn and really not that bad to figure out - What you gain far outweighs what you leave behind in OS 9, and with a dual boot system you can always go back.

Yeah, I know. I'm sure I'll make the switch and be happy I did...if I live long enough. I'm just being a crotchety old fart.

Thanks for the encouragement, BTW.

smile.gif

Michael