Anyone have CMBB experience with newest iBooks?

I've been informed I may be getting the $999.00 version as an interim platform until major funding for the main computer buy shows up and was wondering whether anyone here has actually played CMBB on one? Apparently, that version has 16 MB of VRAM, which should be enough, based on earlier reports and slower CPU chips, to run the game adequately. I'd love some reports from the troops in the CMBB trenches, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

Dear John,

I am using a 800 MgHz iBook to play CMBB and it works very well. Computing speed is good except for monstrous scenarios such as Seelow Height; but then that would be the case for most computers. CMBB graphics are *not* downgraded it seems with 7500 Radeon video card. The game looks good and plays very well with the new iBook. So enjoy.

All best, Richard

Originally posted by BBToys:

At present CMBB cannot be played in OS X, even in simulation mode.

I don't have any trouble at all playing CMBB under Classic - and I didn't make any changes to the default settings to do this. CMBO won't work under Classic but, for me at least, CMBB works just fine.

My machine is a dual gig G4 running System 10.2.3

Originally posted by Jagdratt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BBToys:

At present CMBB cannot be played in OS X, even in simulation mode.

I don't have any trouble at all playing CMBB under Classic - and I didn't make any changes to the default settings to do this. CMBO won't work under Classic but, for me at least, CMBB works just fine.

My machine is a dual gig G4 running System 10.2.3</font>

Actualy you can play CMBO and CMBB under osX, thats if you don't mind software mode.

In system prefrences, select the classic 9 icon at the bottom under system. Click the advanced tab, then from the drop down list select start with extension manager or some such, then click the start classic button. when classic starts the extension manager opens first, find the classic rave extension and uncheck its box, then click done/ok or whatever. Classic will now start and double clicking either your CMBO or CMBB icon will start the game in software mode.

It's not the best solution.

With regards to iBooks and CMBB, the demo ran fine on my 300Mhz 4mb vram toilet seat, so the full game should run great with 16Mb of vram.

Hmmm.... Interesting. Neither CMBO nor CMBB would run for me when I boot with OS X and then load OS 9 in software mode. I remember an earlier thread in which people have said much the same thing in a rather definitive way.

I would myself be very pleased to know that I'm wrong here. The inconvenience of having to reboot the computer everytime I want to play a game is the main reason I am still opting to boot in OS 9 even when OS X promises to deliver so much more.

not to agitate you guys:

I have an emac which I bought last Nov. Out of paranoia, I created 3 partitions, OS9, OSX, BIG-OS9.

I regularly boot into OS9 or OSX for my stuff. For small games, I boot into the OS9 partition.

When I need to play large Email games where speed is critical, I actually boot into BIG-OS9 partition by using the "Turn on with the Option-Key Press Down" trick. This is important, because the speed under BIG-OS9 is much faster than the Normal OS9 partition. Now, my BIG-OS9 and the OS9 partitions are identical but...

What happens is that whenever you boot into OSX, it checks whether you booted in OS9 the last time, and it attempts to update the OS9 partition with some additional graphic drivers which slows down OS9 even under native mode. By using the "Option Key press" during reboot or startup, you can select which partition to run and it will fool OSX not to update the Big-os9 partition.

The speed difference is significant, eg. under the Cidatel demo, the movie wait bar takes about 5-10 seconds in OS9 , under my Big-OS9, it is about 3-7 seconds.

In other words, even if you boot into a normal OS9 partition to play CMBB, it may not be optimised for CMBB, because OSX will update that OS9 partition with slow-but-compatible graphic drivers.

Hope I have not confused you all too much.

laxx

ps. This also applies to Medal of Honor. I like to play it in OS9 rather than X coz it is faster. But if I played it under my normal native OS9 partition which has been updated by X, it will be significantly slower, ie. the mouse will lag terribly. I usually Option-Boot into my BIG-OS9 partition to play Medal of Honor.

[ January 21, 2003, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Jagdratt,

What video card do you have in your machine? Is it running with hardware or software rendering? At what resolution is it running? I had heard of folks running CMBO in classic with software rendering, but not CMBB. Maybe something's changed recently...

Ben

It's the stock nVidia GeForce4MX. I don't remember what resolution I had set, and it's time to head to bed now...

This machine and video card are remarkably faster than the 733 G4 it replaces. Running the AI routine and processing the turn seem to take 25-50% less time than the previous machine.