** Panzer IV J (final production) **

PzIVJ from the final production run seen somwhere in Austria, May 1945. The camouflage pattern is the so-called 'Winter 1945' pattern, although there aren't many sources to verify this. Based on MikeyD's PanzerIV mod with a number of corrections and improvements.

saf471cca5ad1d3b.jpg

It's not as perfect as I'd like it to be, but the best that can be done with the actual texture setup.

Available at CMMODS.

Well, I don't know why they called it that - as far as I know it was a transitional pattern introduced in winter 1944/45 and maybe some authors THOUGHT it was a winter pattern. It's RAL7028 (Dunkelgelb) outlined with RAL9002 (Weiß) on a RAl8012 (Oxidrot) primer.

A real name I don't have, although it can be found on on different vehicles. I'll try to find a photograph.

P.S.: I explicitely SEARCH for these extraordinary patterns - that's the fun part of German WW2 armor!

[ October 22, 2007, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

The mod looks great. The camo pattern looks ugly as sin. But totally convincing and absolutely fascinating. The visual confusion it creates reminds me of what happens when you look at ships painted in razzle-dazzle camouflage. And that's probably why they made it that way -- though one of the side benefits of razzle-dazle is that it makes it much harder to figure out the other ship's heading from looking at it, which greatly increases the chances that your torpedo will miss.

Well, I have to asdmit I cannot find a photograph, but I can at least cite my source for it: 'Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.G, H and J 1942-45' from Osprey Publishing. Therein is stated that for the winter of 1944/45 a number of modifications was made to the camouflage pattern (see p.44-45).

I will, nonetheless, investigate further on this information.