Moving my mods to a new computer with McMMM?

Depending on whether the two computers are compatible or not, it is possible to hook a cable into both of them and dump the contents of one hard drive into the other. Installed programs won't work after that (you have to reinstall so it gets into the systems registry, or sumfink), but it works very nicely with collections of inert data like a bmp folder.

I'm not that good with computers and I've managed to perform this operation for two different people. It didn't cost very much ($15 for transfer software and cable) and it was a heck of a lot easier than making DVD's of every folder in a crowded computer. And I was just settling down to read the manual to figure out how long it would take and it was done.

N.B. -- It helps if both computers use USB ports.

If you copy everything from your old computer to your new one, then McMMM will keep working, it won't care. I prefer to think of this as "it is smart enough" not "it is dumb enough". It doesn't store mod data in the registry or anything nasty like that.

When I say "copy everything" I mean the mod files (.zip) AND the McMMM data files (.mcd) AND the CMAK directories (the BMP directory specifically).

IE you _don't_ have to uninstall and reload, as long as you copy _everything_.

If you install CMAK afresh from the CD on your new machine, hopefully its obvious that you need to reinstall the mods using McMMM again also.

GaJ

Move the contents of your old machine to your new machine. Then go into CMAK (which won't work in the new machine) and copy the BMP folder and put it in a safe place. Do the same for the wav folder if you have any sound mods. Then reinstall CMAK. Then copy the wav and bmp folders back into your fresh install of CMAK. You won't have to go crazy trying to remember if you reinstalled a certain mod or not, only to discover six months later that you didn't.

This is even more useful to do with CMBB than CMAK because, being an older game, it is likely to have a lot more cherished mods that you don't even remember that you installed. And my mod stockpile for CMBB was huge (too big to copy onto CD's).

HI GAJ

I copied both the programmes and the data files exactly from one computer to the other. McMMM lost the links to the files but I was able to put them in again as before and all my mods popped up into both the installed and uninstalled lists. Great! But when I tried to look at the files using the examine button, it could neither see the original file nor the mod file images. Any idea what is wrong?

cheers