Sortavala Pack

Now at The Scenario Depot close to you, available for an unlimited period: the Battle for Sortavala!

k21.jpg

Sortavala.jpg

When in 1941 Finnish Army took the task of reconquering the lost territories, Sortavala was the first objective, to be taken by the 7th Division. For the Soviet defenders the city offered otherwise good possibilities for defence because it was surrounded by bodies of water on all directions. However, Finns could also use this to their benefit in surrounding Sortavala. Road connections and waterways to the city were cut. After that the great hill of Kuhavuori to southwest of the centre and the suburb of Kymölä to the south were captured, Finnish direct fire guns and machine guns could pour accurate fire to the streets of Sortavala. With the spirit of the defenders starting to show signs of breaking, Finnish troops moved in.

The pack contains three stages of this battle: Srt1 High Ground, Srt2 Kymola and Srt3 Streets of Sortavala. They are playable either against Soviet AI or another human player.

4108SortavalaKonekiv%E4%E4riTukeeHy%F6kk%E4yst%E4.jpg

4108SortavalanLaidalla.jpg

4108SortavalaVallattu%26Ven%E4l%E4inenVanki.jpg

Sergei, there's nothing I like more than a well researched battle. Thanks. Untill now I kind of ignored the Finnish war with the Soviets (not because I'm not interested, even as a young boy I was fascinated by this David and Goliath struggle), in CMBB at least. I don't think I ever played a battle at the Finnish front. This battle is going to change that, I think. I still have some other battles to play (busy life...), but I'm looking forward to this one.

Beware : mild spoilers ahead.

I've just finished playing the first battle TCP/IP vs. a friend (as the Finns).

It doesn't happen very often that a historical battle is also challenging and fun, but this one is.

There is not that much firepower around and the Soviet player suffers from some obvious disadvantages, but a skilled player could run the Finns close I think. Certainly the historical outcome which sets the scene for the next battle shouldn't be too hard to achieve, which is nice. It's always weird when you completely trounce your opponent in one of a series of battles and then still find yourself in a poor situation in the next battle.