The CMEF online war (in development).

Still beavering away, and the pile of rubble that was the ground-work is now starting to bear a resemblance to some kind of organized structure. Web-site development is underway, the ruleset, graphics, charts & tables; lots has been done (not all uploaded, more stuff still to create)...

The forums are also up, with at least a hint of how the format is going to work. It's big, and it will rely upon the input of all participants beyond the mere fighting of the battles within CMBB. But nothing too onerous I believe.

So, if you're interested in a big CMBB affair, on a grand scale, with land and medals and glory...and everything :D , please come along and make yourself heard. Thirty per side, just for starters, would be nice. Oh yes. smile.gif

http://www.deadisdead.net/phpBB/index.php

Originally posted by JT Fox:

Will the system allow for PBEM?

I'm afraid not JT, it will be strictly TCP/IP.

All battles will be fixed at 30 turns, and I'm anticipating a max turn time of five minutes, making for a total battle time of approx 3 hours (not including set-up, as that's going to be variable).

Each sector can have a total of three human players stationed within it. Not all of them have to attend a sector-vs-sector battle, and a sector may not be fully manned.

For each pair of humans in opposing sectors there will be an individual CMBB battle.

This allows for players to be able to take a weekend off, knowing that the chances are at least one of their comrades will be covering their sector.

If a sector is totally unmanned for a defence against an announced attack the sector will be deemed lost.

It may be possible for players from non-engaged sectors to stand in, I haven't much thought about that yet.

Theoretically, given that each sector could be 3-vs-3 at max capacity, a player could get away with attending just three hours of combat once every three weeks if all three guys in a sector spread the load. Or stand-ins could even further reduce the need to attend.

For those more passionate/commited to the game, three hours every week is available, assuming their sector is attacking or defending that often.

So I think, under these conditions, TCP/IP is doable. smile.gif

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

So I just have to register on the forum to be able to take part in the war? I'd very much like to...

All owners of CMBB are welcome, so long as they're intending to do the game justice. smile.gif

The advantage to running an online war for a game like this is one already knows the players are of above-average intelligence, maturity and commitment. CMBB is hardly something that appeals to the average CS junkie. :D

I don't want to interfere with your planning but I would prefer a system in which battles can be played whenever there is a pair of players who are available with no need for a special individual to be there.

To be honest the system you are implementing is very appealing in terms of realism, having commanders with their given area of responsibility who might fight on the same map repeatedly sometimes against the same opponent. However I believe it will be hard to enforce the schedule if there have to be very specific pairings at very specific times.

Originally posted by tankibanki:

I don't want to interfere with your planning but I would prefer a system in which battles can be played whenever there is a pair of players who are available with no need for a special individual to be there.

To be honest the system you are implementing is very appealing in terms of realism, having commanders with their given area of responsibility who might fight on the same map repeatedly sometimes against the same opponent. However I believe it will be hard to enforce the schedule if there have to be very specific pairings at very specific times.

That's why I want a shed-load of people playing it (up to a maximum of three players per sector), as that makes it more likely that attack and defence commitments can be honoured.

A sector combat can be resolved with a 1-vs-1 combat just as well as with a full 3-vs-3 one.

However, as mentioned previously, I've briefly thought about allowing other sector officers to step-in to a sector where none of that sector's players are available. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be doable? It would, of course, mean that the absent player would have to give the stand-in his OOB, and his troops and equipment would be taken over by that stand-in (and possibly used and abused quite horribly. One isn't as considerate of somebody else's men as one's own).

Neither should it be a hard & fast rule that all combat must take place only at weekends.

[ August 16, 2006, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Sigrun ]