Elevations help for newbie

Hello All:

Just trying out the demos. Have a very hard time looking at the map and seeing elevation changes.

1) Is there a particular view (camera angle, zoom level, etc.) that is best to see elevation changes?

An example: I read the AAR for Fruehlingswind and it talks about two prominent terrain features being the two ridges. I couldn't see them! If I use view "1" I have a very good view of terrain in front of me but obviously then cannot see the big picture. I had lots of difficult also with the CMBB demo on the steppes.

2) I have seen screenshots with some grid overlays that help - which one do you find best for accentuating the elevation changes?

Thanks very much,

Gerry

I agree that the terrain grid lines are the best way.Followed by getting your nose dirty by getting down in views 1-3 and looking around and stuff.

As far as the terrain grid mods,i think any of them would do.I am assuming that they are all the same as far as grid lines are concerned.The different options are mostly for graphical purposes.

Another, not perfect solution, is to use elevation 1 and look at the map from outside the bounds of the map. That at least gives you a good view of the profile along the edges of the map, and some idea of how that changes further in. This works best on small maps. It also doesn't help you with the wadi in the center of the map.

I found that elevation is a bit harder to see with the desert tile sets in CMAK than with the terrain in CMBB and CMBO.

Another thing that helps a bit is to look at the bends in the LOS or movement lines as they go over the terrain.

Hello All:

Thanks for the tips. Using view 1 and 2 plus skirting the edges really helps. And I am getting much better flying around the board.

I now realize one difficulty I have trying to play a computer wargame. When I play ASL I spend a lot of time evaluating the board, etc. One of the tendencies for me with a computer game is to just try and start playing right away. I now see that a lot of analysis of the map and forces is necessary before hitting Go and I have to resist the urge just to start playing.

Take care,

Gerry