ROQC version 2 for CMBB is here

Get it at the ROQC site.

There are a large number of changes in relation to version 1. The most significant are probably the introduction of core force replacements, the addition of the Raid and Relief operational orders and the change in the way player difficulty is handled.

I highly recommend using this if you're still on version 1. There are a few tweaks from the latest beta (2.00j) so you should upgrade from that too.

Read the list below to learn about the detailed changes.

Error corrections:

· Citation for core force as a whole computed incorrectly: Core force citations were never awarded in 1.00

· Using 50 Favor to return casualties will now give the proper +4 modifier. It was +3 in 1.00.

· The briefing for your own force would show the axis fitness setting even if you're allied.

Modifications:

· InText macro removed from spreadsheet.

· The probability of skipping June 1944 in the Finnish region decreased.

· Experience of core force additions added to Control Sheet to help you when upgrading the core force (the value is a copy of the replacement experience value from the previous battle)

· Support force points increased for core forces with point value at least 1200 to allow for more variety in battle size.

· Demotion limit changed to -20% of Favor limit

· Unit experience update after battle changed so that you now get points for mortars, and tanks with 75mm guns or larger gets less for killing vehicles.

· History sheet is now automatically updated (if not done already) when you generate the sheet for the next battle.

· Handling of difficulty levels changed considerably to allow you to progress in ranks more easily. There are now 5 generic difficulty levels that have a significant effect on difficulty. Gaining in rank still increase difficulty, but not as much. The rank names have changed a bit as well and you can choose to use national rank denominations.

· You can choose to always fight with your own division type instead of a random nationality and division type.

· The amount of Favor you get from a battle is

adjusted for the difficulty of the battle. Large handicap die rolls battles give you a Favor bonus and small handicap die rolls give you a negative favor adjustment.

· A demotion will now halve any negative Favor you might have instead of costing you 20 Favor.

· Rarity table modified to allow for wider spread of results.

· Force Purchase Handicap values reduced to decrease the probability of getting a negative support force purchase allowance.

· Core force replacement rules revised completely. You are no longer assured a complete replacement of all losses, and may have to go to battle with a reduced core force. This change affects the rules in a number of places, too many to list in detail.

· Core Force sheet expanded to allow for 160 units in the core force. Beware however that the history sheet only shows the history of the first 93 of these, as there is a limit on the number of columns in a page in Excel.

· History sheet updated with more information. This causes a problem if you want to copy the history from a previous version into the spreadsheet for 2.00b. See 2.3.7 for more info.

· Relief battle added, which is about passing a number of supply trucks through the enemy lines to a surrounded force. The frequency of Retreat battles has been reduced so that Retreat and Relief combined have approx. the same frequency as Retreat used to have.

· You can now use Favor to delay the date of the next battle so that you get more time for rest & refit.

· Raid battles added. A Raid is a local attack with the purpose of achieving a specific objective, followed by a withdrawal to the original frontline.

· Map Contours set to Gentle (1.25m) in a large Town (to avoid those steep roads) and Normal (2.5m) otherwise.

This is now a very good and comprehensive rule set. I don't expect it to develop much except for error corrections. I'll still take suggestions however - I'm always open for ideas. And some of the changes incorporated into the CMAK version may filter down into this one.

I'll now focus my efforts on the rules for CMAK, which are getting very close to a beta release.

Von Rosen, don't tell me it's too complicated. I've gone to great lengths to make it as easy to use as possible smile.gif

I assure you, it's worth the effort.

You don't have to read all the rules, you can skip the section on how to roll up the battle parameters. It does provide some nice background info, but you can read it later.

There is a problem with Raids on a gun or mortar battery, see here: http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=001390

I'd advise you to either

- take the challenge,

- adjust the difficulty (subtract - say - 4 from the die roll for the enemy force handicap)

or

- reroll the battle (or raid type) if you get such a raid.

I'll update the rules when I figure out how to deal with it (and get the time to do it).

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Von Rosen, don't tell me it's too complicated. I've gone to great lengths to make it as easy to use as possible smile.gif

I assure you, it's worth the effort.

You don't have to read all the rules, you can skip the section on how to roll up the battle parameters. It does provide some nice background info, but you can read it later.

Well now I got it working, maybe I am not so stupid as I thought!!!! The champagne works just very fine. I have a couple of questions.

I play the long walk an my core is 4 Pz4 F2 and 4 Pz3 J, no inf, but I get an awful lot of support points, 1500 or more, is that right, it gives me a lot of troops bur I really don’t want to play with so many men, am I doing something wrong ???

It seems that almost every time I start a game, when the set-up is finish, then I get heavy art. on my troops, how does the AI know where I put my troops ??

Originally posted by Von Rosen:

I play the long walk an my core is 4 Pz4 F2 and 4 Pz3 J, no inf,

The Long Walk is supposed to be a long walk - that is an infantry campaign. But it doesn't really matter, you can call it whatever you want.

And the long walk starts in June 41, your campaign seems to start in 42 - there weren't any PzIV F2 in 41.

but I get an awful lot of support points, 1500 or more, is that right, it gives me a lot of troops bur I really don?t want to play with so many men, am I doing something wrong ???
Your core force seems to be a bit large - a platoon of PzIV F2 and a platoon of PZIIIJ is probably well over 600 points, perhaps over 800. If you couple that with an offensive that gives you more support, you're likely to get larger battles. I'd advise using a smaller core force.

It seems that almost every time I start a game, when the set-up is finish, then I get heavy art. on my troops, how does the AI know where I put my troops ??
I can't help you there. You'll have to complain to the powers that be at BFC.

[ February 09, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

Originally posted by Von Rosen:

Make sure you set up such that the AI won't be able to see any of your units. Infantry in cover will not be observable from much of a distance, but AFV's or infantry in any sort of open area will attract serious attention.

Version 2.01 has now been uploaded. get it at the usual place

There are two changes:

1) Raid battles on a Gun battery and Mortar battery adjusted to compensate for the fact that you cannot ensure that the enemy guns or mortars have a reduced ammunition load.

2) Adjustment for the fortification point bug added. This bug gives the attacker kill points for the defenders? fortifications as if they were destroyed.

The campaign files are now updated to 2.01

[ February 10, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

I must be sounding like a cracked record, but I had to make another update. A minor matter, but still anoying: The raid battle handicap modifiers were a bit strange - battles were set to be easier at night than at day, and it should be different. Raiding at night is in general an advantage because the reduced visibility goes well with the limited target.

Get 2.02 at the usual place

I got an error report for 2.02 showing that the adjustment for the fortification point bug (in CMBB) didn't work. This has been corrected and uploaded to http://www.roqc.cdgroup.org/ as v2.03. Fortunately, it was only necessary to change the spreadsheets. Unfortunately, that meant that all campaign sheets had to be updated.

You need to update your current battle if you're attacking and using the Attack or Assault battle type (not Probe). You won't be able to complete the Favor calculation if you stay with 2.02 in that case. You will in any case need to upgrade before you roll the dice for the next battle.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand this. Is this a tool that you use to make your own campaigns if you want or is it a campaign itself?

Are there any places that give overviews of campaign tools or even how to play a campaign? I can't seem to find any tutorials or introductions to this style of play anywhere.

Thankyou

Originally posted by KG_Cloghaun:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand this. Is this a tool that you use to make your own campaigns if you want or is it a campaign itself?

Are there any places that give overviews of campaign tools or even how to play a campaign? I can't seem to find any tutorials or introductions to this style of play anywhere.

Thankyou

Good questions.

This is both a tool and a campaign in itself, in that you pick a core force yourself and then follow the rules outlined in ROQC to take your men through the campaign.

The rules contain an overview at the start (page 3). Let me repeat that here:

from the ROQC rules:

ROQC consists of a series of quick battles, interspaced with a bit of bookkeeping. Your core force participates in all battles, and is supported by (or supports, if you prefer) varying troops from your side.

This is basically what you will do

1. Pick a nationality, time and place

2. Select (if this is the first battle) or update your core force.

3. Set up and play a quick battle following these rules.

4. Record data from the battle

5. Advance the time of the battle and go to 2. Repeat until finished.

That's all, really. You will be using both the editor and the QB generator, but it's all explained in detail later. Don't worry; you can accomplish this even if you have never opened the editor before.

Note that the quick battles aren't just ordinary quick battles. They are part of a context and have a larger goal than just the standard CMBB victory criterion. And they are quite varied.

I designed this campaign for with flexibility in mind - I like to be able to play around with different core forces - and with the goal of letting you complete a campaign in a decent number of battles.

• 2 weeks later...

Get v2.10 here: http://www.roqc.cdgroup.org/CMBB.html

The changes from 2.03 are:

Option to specify number of battles per month added

Option to select Armor intensive battles added

Option to adjust or ignore replacement rules added

There are no error corrections in relation to 2.03 IIRC.

I intend to take a break from this now. I'm still interested in error reports and feedback, though, so don't hold yourself back.

• 8 months later...