Russian Training 102

Started the series last night and ran into this brick wall (102) tried some different methods but no luck. I ran a t34 far left and fast. The stug tracked him and shot at him but did not score a hit so I sent the other to out to engage the stug from the side and they could not hit that stug. The poor decoy ran out of map, took a hit, then died. The hq unit was in the middle, started to reverse, the stug turned and killed the t34 on the right. That left me with just the hq which did not last long.

On another try I rushed the stug and was suprised how close the t34's got to the stug. I imagine the t34's accuracy were way down because they were moving fast, but the stug did not score a hit until the t34 ware 100yds away. They were toast the three of them went down fast.

I have not given up yet.

Nice Job Jason!

Flank and close. Stay on fast, send one on each edge. The command tank can fast move to behind the objective building (and drop riders into it), and shoot and scoot out from behind it if the StuG isn't facing its way. Or replace one of the flankers if the StuG nails one of them. You want maximum angular separation.

The key to killing a StuG is to make it spend its time rotating. The closer you get, the faster the angle changes as you pass its side. The killing shot can be delivered from point blank range. Or the center tank can get it from a short halt.

You will rarely tag it on fast move from hundreds of meters out, but that doesn't much matter. It won't be able to kill one and turn to face the other before the second gets clear around it. At which point it spends its time turning while you fire, at thin armor.

Tell me about it. The middle tank saw him first, that's the HQ tank. He promptly backed up, and I gave the other two instructions to back up behind the hill, and head for the flanks. The Stug hit the tank on his left with his first shot. My tank was hauling ass towards the Stug trying to get the range down. He then turned to the HQ tank (the one in the middle), while it was trying to back behind the hill, and nailed it on his first shot. Keep in mind that I started backing up the HQ tank as soon as I saw the Stug. So we spotted the Stug, and in the time it took for the Stug to turn and nail the first tank, and turn and nail the HQ tank, all the HQ tank has time to do was reverse about 20 meters. 40 or 50 meters would have taken him behind the hill to safety.

It took longer for the tank on his right to get into position. So the Stug had already rotated to face him, and my tank started backing up, and it got nailed on the Stug's first shot. 3 shots, three dead tanks.

training1027zy.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/681/training1027zy.jpg

[ January 19, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: civdiv ]

After you spot the StuG is way too late.

You were supposed to pick up the lesson already in 101, that your riders are there to scout for you, and tell you where the enemy vehicles are and which way they are facing, before you ever give them LOS to one of your T-34s. There is no excuse for getting surprised by where the StuG is or how far it can see or which way it is facing. The T-34s belong in dead ground, until the dismounts tell you where it is.

Their initial positions (line astern), I gave all three “Fast Move” keeping the line astern formation with a path to the depression near the objective flag. At the depression, the first tank kept a path straight ahead to flank the stug on his left, The second tank (hq) was given a path around the house with the objective flag then turn right toward the stug. The last tank was given a path to turn right, with gentle turns so as not to spend too much time rotating, this path approached the map edge, then gentle left turns toward the stug. Each path ended approx. 100 yards from the stug, at different angles (0, 45 90).

All of the tanks made it to the depression, no problem. At the break out the stug targeted the HQ (funny how the AI knows which one is Tried again last night and came up with a maneuver that worked, with the three tank s in the HQ), which made it to the objective flag. At this point the AI had to chose which way to rotate and it cost him. The last tank in the line ended up bogging then immobile but still got the shot and took out the stug.

The Germans surrendered and I went to bed.

Jason You are causing me to lose sleep! redface.gif

Jason, I know it entails a lot of work, but it would be cool if each scenario had a briefing that gave the users a few tactical hints for each of these missions...maybe you could take them in chunks, and include them at your own pace. I'm sure there are some folks--myself included--who'd be willing to help you do that.