Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Recommended sound mod(s)?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32... look for sndrec32.exe

its in the start menu... but im on a swedish pc so i dont know if its the same on a pc from another country... should be something like entertainment menu under some menu like extras or addons or something... the same place youll find the calculator... :confused:

Hello everyone... Man, it sure has been a while since I've posted here and I finally purchased a copy of CMBB (a messy divorce tends to disrupt your life a bit smile.gif ). Anyways, I should have my high-speed DSL once again, in a month or so and I have several new sounds for both CMBO and CMBB. I have lost touch with David Heath at Matrix Games so I am no longer actively employed with them, I suppose I will just freelance it a bit. Someone in this thread stated that they could not find a suitable audio editor... I would recommend Audacity, a free open-source editor that can be found at their homepage. Not on par with Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge, but better than none at all. At any rate, it's good to finally be back, even though it's at a 56k limited capacity. I think that I will go check out the CMBB sound map now... smile.gif

sorry to hear about the divorce hopefully its not like the bad ones i always hear on the Howard Stern show (big fan) :D . sounds like your a sound guy, alright more sound modders!

EDIT: thnx for the link btw. ive been playing with goldwave demo and i have no clue on what im doing.

[ March 03, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: MrNoobie ]

Well its nice to hear that you are giving it a try, but i hope it wont tear you away from anything important... like making tank mods! :D

i think its great that we are getting more soundmodders out there... i know my mods dont cater to everyones desires and its good to have a choice... but for all you soundmod up and coming stars i have a word of advice. Try to make complete soundmods because if you ask me the most important thing is not that all the sounds are "cool" but that all the sounds fit together in a good and logical way. It may be cool to have an 88 that sounds like the gods were destroying the earth, but it wont fit in with the rest of the cannon sounds then... unless you mod them too of course ;) and that is what i strive for.

Well no more lectures now... go out there and mod away!

(btw. i am making some VERY simple campaign rules for multiplayer armored campaigns that me and my friend is going to play. Nothing in the vicinity of biltongs rules, but fun non the less... and not really historically acurate, but if you are playing a friend it can be more fun this way... if there is a demand i might release them tongue.gif )

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

Try to make complete soundmods because if you ask me the most important thing is not that all the sounds are "cool" but that all the sounds fit together in a good and logical way. It may be cool to have an 88 that sounds like the gods were destroying the earth, but it wont fit in with the rest of the cannon sounds then... unless you mod them too of course ;) and that is what i strive for.

While it's true that 'complete' sound mods are important, I have to disagree that it is the "most important" aspect. IMHO, the amplitude of your sounds is more important than completeness. Since we are forced to work with mono instead of stereo sounds, as long as all sounds in the game are near the same amplitude, even 'crappy' ones will fit in nicely. Another important thing to do is to make sure that your looping sounds, ie. vehicle movement sounds, sync up at the beginning and end. If this is not done correctly, you will get 'clicks' in your sound when it loops back to the beginning. Using Cool Edit Pro or any other good sound editor, zoom in to both the entry and exit points of your wave and manually flatten them. As long as there are no drastic modulation or decible differences between the beginning and end of your sound, it will sound seamless. I will get off of my soapbox in a moment, but first there is one last point I need to make. The use of the mp3 codec to compress your sounds may save a ton of space, but it is a very 'lossy' compression algorithm. You lose a lot of high and low end decible ranges in the conversion between wave and mp3. I can certainly tell a difference in the quality of one of my sounds after having passed through the mp3 to wave conversion process. If you are looking to save space then I would recommend using the ACE archiver to compress them. The ZIP compression technology is aging and in several comparison tests around the internet, ACE and RAR blew it out of the water. Well, that's enough for now smile.gif . Hopefully someone will glean something from my ramblings...

For those who do not know of the ACE or RAR compressor, you can find them here:

WinACE Home

WinRAR Home