Setup zones in an operation - a query (Design or Bug?)

Here is an screenshot from the setup phase of a operation. As you can see, two T43's have been isolated in their own little setup zone. My question is : Shouldn't their coloured bases be blue? As it stands I can just pick them up and put them anywhere in my main setup zone...but I can't move them an inch within the Blue zone.

setup.jpg

[ December 08, 2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: General Tacticus ]

Just a thought (I'm doing my first scenario now, so I'm not REAL experienced!), but did you place teh tanks and THEN place the setup zone around them?

I'm using multiple setup zones in mine but I did all the zones first and tehn placed teh troops in them.

An alternative possibility - was that area originally part of the red zone?

Uh, I'm not so sure it's a bug exactly. More like an unintended feature. ISTR that I read somewhere—don't recall whether in the manual or here on the board; probably the latter—that if a unit is too far forward of the FEBA at the end of a battle in an operation, at the start of the next battle it will be in its own isolated setup zone. It also won't get resupplied between battles. Did you check for that?

The thing I don't understand is how you were able to change them to another setup zone. That could be a bug.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

The thing I don't understand is how you were able to change them to another setup zone. That could be a bug.

Michael

That's what I mean :D

Everything else is working just right...unit SHOULD be getting isolated etc...but they are not being colour coded correctly...hence they can't be positioned correctly. Those two T34's shold have a blue base, and I should be able to move them arround inside the blue box. But I can't. However, I can pick them up and dump them anywhere in the red zone...completely avoiding the problem of being isolated.

Here's a theory: The blue zone is not a setup zone, but instead a boundary that prevents your opponent from setting next to your now isolated tanks.

Notice how your tanks are locked into the middle of the blue zone, with plenty of space all around. That space is a buffer zone. Because of it, your opponent cannot set up a dozen tank killer teams all around your tanks as long as the tanks stay in the middle of the blue.

If you were allowed to reposition in the blue chances are you would deploy closer to an edge, negating the safety of the buffer zone.

Thats a fairly good theory...except the units are not padlocked...I can just move them to the red setup zone and place anywhere in it I like.

It maybe that the two T34's should have Orange bases (ie are padlocked). It maybe that they shold have Blue bases, and can be moved around in the blue zone. But they have Red bases - that just can't be right, can it? smile.gif

Thats a fairly good theory...except the units are not padlocked...I can just move them to the red setup zone and place anywhere in it I like.
Thats the computer giving you the option of pulling your isolated tanks back into friendly lines.

Think about it. Two of your tanks have advanced beyond the FLOT, and are isolated inside enemy territory. What are their options? Either they can sit tight, or pull back into friendly lines. If they sit tight they cannot move inside their blue buffer zone. If they pull back they can redeploy freely within their lines. Makes sense to me.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

...Think about it. Two of your tanks have advanced beyond the FLOT, and are isolated inside enemy territory. What are their options? Either they can sit tight, or pull back into friendly lines. If they sit tight they cannot move inside their blue buffer zone. If they pull back they can redeploy freely within their lines. Makes sense to me.

It makes sence in that picture I posted...they are just 100m from the red zone, and can probably reverse to it with any problems (they are in "no mans land" after all...no bad guys are near by...I know that.)

BUT...I have built a test operation where a platoon of infantry gets isolated 1km from the red zone, and I can still move them freely back to that zone. Thats a lot of enemy held ground (open in this case) to cover :D . Another slight problem...they seem to get bumped out of thier foxholes (maybe because I deployed them to close together for the computers comfort..), and because I can't tweak their postions in the blue box...well you see the slight problem....it not a biggie.

I think you are on the right track with the "blue zone"...it probably is a "buffer".

Here is the test operation I built. Play as the soviets (or hotseat)...hide all your infantry and fast forward through the 10 ten turns. German tanks will advnace and cut off one platoon....

[ December 06, 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: General Tacticus ]

I don't think this is how BTS intended it to work.

* activate smug self-congratulatory tone*

Say - wouldn't that make a nice official way of reporting bugs in future :D .

*de-activate smug self-congratulatory tone*

I recently had a platoon become isolated around a few buildings. Due to the above behaviour I had the choice between leaving them marooned inches away from the relative safety of the inside of those buildings, or pulling them all the way back to my main setup zone. However, repositioning them ever so slightly to put a wall between them and the advancing Nazis was not an option. This - clearly - is a nonsense.

BTSPFODS.

setup2.jpg

Here is another result...just as odd. I have modified the test operation mentioed earlier to test the setup zone behaviour from the Axis side...

This is the setup phase at the start of battle 2. 6 T34's are between the pictured platoon and friendly lines. I can just pick them up and place them in the green setup zone - this time there is no zone around them at all....

Can this be the correct behaivour???

[ December 08, 2002, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: General Tacticus ]

What kind of operation are you playing ?

If it's an "advance" type, perhaps the manual page 156 give us the explanation :

"Units which end the last battle in no man's land are automaticaly shifted back to their own front lines"

Hence the free move back to the friendly lines observed in your screenies.

But if you're playing "static" or "assault" type of operation, it won't help explaining this capability...

[ December 09, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Sigurd ]

• 3 weeks later...