New here... seeking the best MOD's for CMBB.

Originally posted by Godflesh:

Welcome to the forums,

Bookmark CMMD, check you have plenty of HD space and that your Graphics card is warmed up - Then begin downloading...and enjoy

Hello,

I am new here and been playing Combat Mission for a few years now and loving it. smile.gif

I was wondering if you people could suggest some good hi-ress skin mods for CMBB?

I am looking for:

*Hi-ress

*Realistic looking

...problem is that I don't have broadband internet and also a "30 hours a month limit", so I must spent my time online as good as possible. smile.gif

Searching through the immens database is impossable for me.

Could you guys post your personal favorites (and maybe a link/name with it)?

...or maybe a CMmods Classic Mods list?

[ August 30, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Godflesh ]

Originally posted by Godflesh:

...problem is that I don't have broadband internet and also a "30 hours a month limit", so I must spent my time online as good as possible. smile.gif

Searching through the immens database is impossable for me.

Could you guys post your personal favorites (and maybe a link/name with it)?

...or maybe a CMmods Classic Mods list?

If it's impossible for you to search the CMMODs then consider this threads answer

MadMatt speaks

I'd be happy to answer you Godflesh but there are just hundreds of mods available and many of the mods were done by different modders of the same tank or vehicle or whatever so it really boils down to taste when trying to decide on a particular mod. See the problem? Also my personal opinion is that if you download a couple of mods, take tanks for example then the rest of the tanks in that game will pale alongside your d/l one and to me I'd rather not do that but again my opinion so what I would suggest is sticking to only changing terrain or building or uniforms, etc. That way you wouldn't have the problem I mentioned above. Now if you just insist on picking up some vehicle mods then I would suggest you decide what countries and what period you will be playing mostly and d/l'ing mods for those areas. So if you can just get back and let me know which way you want to go I would be more then happy to recommend some to you. Oh and welcome to the game and this forum. You are in for a time of your life with this game for many many years to come. So get back with your answers and I will refer you to some mods. Later.

welcome to the forum GF! like some of the guys have stated, the best mods are in the eye of the beholder. besides juju and andrew i also like mods by flesh and mikeyd. so many mods, so little time! lol..

i guess the main thing is to enjoy the game and pick up mods here and there. there's really no hurry anyway. just have fun!

Since I've recently had to "catch up" on the CMBB mods, I've had to re-introduce myself to the MODers work.

One thing the mod fans try to do is not name favorites and "best" mods, because the MOD authors are all appreciated and some times, the more the merrier.

But I'll break that rule this once and just give a personal opinion for what its worth (nothing).

1. German Tanks, Early

Canon first introduced a set which I considered best, but you will need to try it out, because its really a matter of taste. However, Panzermartin introduced a some very good textures, followed by Limey who got the rest of the tank lineup to match. This became my current favorite.

2. Soviet Tanks

There is quite a few here. Mr.Noobie got better at this and released some excellent mods that included winter snow covered textures, my favorite type of thing. However, I tend to lean to MikeyD whenever I can. As some point out, you want similairity on the battle field. And of course, anything by AndrewTF is worth the download and then some. You don't even have to "review" his stuff, just get it.

3. Terrain

Things like grass, well, you just pick what you want. This really is a matter of taste and you just need to experiment here to find out what floats your bubble. For trees, the originals are fine. But for some of us, we like to "raise" them a bit, so you can see the troops a little better. You now have two excellent choices for this and just need to try them both. First out was Tanks a Lot which does a good job (who also has done some must have peasant huts). I was happy to find recently another excellent choice by Strontium Dog, my currently installed set. For other odds and ends, anything you see by JuJu is also a sure winner.

4. Miscellaneous

For just about anything, I quickly download any vehicle I see from m_bergman, AndrewTF, and MikeyD. But this is not exclusive and I'm always impressed with work by GordonMolek, Limey, Mr.Noobie, Panzermartin, Canon, and a host of other MOD authors that I have currently installed and using but have left out.

Unlike yourself, I have broadband and don't mind downloading mods and I have an extra game directory installed for observing MODs up close (screen shots are sadly lacking sometimes). No matter the artist, I give it a go and admire the hours they put into their work. Some less so than others, but all really appreciated. All the MODers, regardless if I use the mod or not, are heros and tops in my book.

Now if Magua would one day return and make an appearance for CMBB, things would just about be perfect.

In my view, the best "mods" are in fact not mods of things already in CMBB, but instead they are adding things that are not included with the game. This means (mostly) winter vehicle and uniform mods.

Winter vehicles by Kingfisher, Tracer, Canon, MikeyD and Panzermartin, among others, come to mind. For winter uniforms and guns, you can turn to modders like JorgeMC, AndrewTF, and gautrek.

With regard to non-winter mods, it's hard to beat the advice of Garry Kump (see above).

my 2 kopeks:

Uniforms : AndrewTF, he's done them all (nearly) and they all look fabulous.

Small Arms : Juju's ModSlut pack is a requirement.

Terrain : I use "the real dd" mad packs. I love 'em.

Tanks : ...wow, for tanks there are so many. My personal fav mod authors are Mr. Noobie, Panzermartin, Gautrek, MikeyD and AndrewTF.

There are many others, but these are my favs.

Zimorodok

Ì downloaded some of Kingfisher's work (german snow-texture tanks) and I love his work. The tanks look just like how I would want them to.

I am also downloading some whitewashed russian tanks of "Panzermartin"...great modder too. smile.gif

[ August 31, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Godflesh ]

OK, OK if we are dropping names then you have to look at Flesh's stuff too. While the modders above are all certainly good and I have something from everyone of them I also have to mention Flesh's as being extremely well done with some really nice color schemes and they are done on some of the vehicles you will encounter a lot in the games like the Sd/KF251/1 and lots of the Stug's. Far too many to mention here but they are great looking in the game. Oh and don't forget Makjager's excellently done Lynx which is the only one of his at the CM depot but you will have to find it by using the "Search Mod Database" finder as it's not under his name under the designers names. He's also got some just beauiful later PzII's but for whatever reason they aren't posted anywhere yet.