DC players

Having just moved down to the DC area (Arlington), having just noticed Rune's Chicago thread, and having the phenomenal mental ability of being able to add one and one together, it strikes me that a DC meeting would be Not A Bad Idea.

Any of you wonks, lobbyists, lawyers, spooks, feds, puzzle palace paper pushers or other miscontents fancy grabbing a beer?

My one caveat is that I don't have a car, so I'm limited to those places that are Metro-accessable. Other than that, I'm willing to go just about anywhere.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to paradise from a Fairfax CM devotee.

Another get-together sounds great to me. The DC/VA/MD crowd had a couple meetings under the CMBO regime, but it’s been far too long. Name the place and time and I’ll try to be there. Beer can only enhance my love for CM.

The DC area group even tried to get a trip together to go to the military museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds up in Maryland, but the base was closed to the public after 9/11. I think it’s back open so perhaps we can give it another try.

Nice to see a few responses.

I haven't been in town long enough to find a favorite bar (except for the sleazy biker bar five minutes from my house with $1 whiskey shots night, a bit lacking in ambiance though). I have had a couple of people recommend the Brickskeller, though. Large selection of beers, doesn't look to be hugely expensive, two blocks from the Dupont Circle metro. But if anyone knows of a better place, I will happily defer to your greater wisdom.

Of course, there remains to set a date. I'm relatively open schedule-wise. I tend to get off work around 6ish, and Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are better nights for me to go out than Tuesdays and Thursdays, but what do the rest of you reckon?

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Brickskeller?

I haven't been there for 15 years.

I'm in Richmond but I don't think I can make it to DC anytime soon.

If anyone is ever interested in the Army transport museum at Ft. Eustis, Newport News (Near Williamsburg), drop me a line. I haven't been to the museum for a while but I'm there 4 days a week, I'll see what they have displayed now.

Count in another Northern Virginia CMBO/BB player. I live just outside the Beltway and can get vitrually anywhere in the DC/Baltimore area. Count me in for any get together.

In fact, I got together with my old opponent and New York resident YankeeDog the week before Christmas and we caused all sorts of hell at the Lost Dog Cafe (Pizza place in Arlington with 150+ available beers). Nothing like a heavy discussion of military tactics/history and CM!

I know that there was a small group of CMer's that got together last year in the DC area, and we should definitely do it again (I would even volunteer as the coordinator if needed). I think some of the other members at that showing included:

Joshik

Lawyer

[ January 07, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Zitadelle ]

Originally posted by Zitadelle:

Count in another Northern Virginia CMBO/BB player. I live just outside the Beltway and can get vitrually anywhere in the DC/Baltimore area. Count me in for any get together.

In fact, I got together with my old opponent and New York resident YankeeDog the week before Christmas and we caused all sorts of hell at the Lost Dog Cafe (Pizza place in Arlington with 150+ available beers). Nothing like a heavy discussion of military tactics/history and CM!

I know that there was a small group of CMer's that got together last year in the DC area, and we should definitely do it again (I would even volunteer as the coordinator if needed). I think some of the other members at that showing included:

Joshik

Lawyer

Sweet. Actually, your offer to coordinate might be a very good idea, as I only have internet access at Job Number One at the moment - meaning I'm completely incommunicado every night and all day Thursday-Sunday. Depending on how soon Comcast gets off its collective butt and hooks up my house, that should change, but...

In the meantime, should we collectively say the Brickskeller, two weeks from today, around 8ish? Gives everyone plenty of time to get over from work and Marlow can drop in half an hour later.