Mountain Fighting

Just read this in a 10th US Mountain Division summary of ops in Afghanistan:

9: Mortars played a key role in many situations.

D: Mortars were responsible for many kills. The enemy kept its distance during the day and took cover in advance of air support. The mortar computer (M23 mortar ballistic computer) couldn't get set low below 400m? M8 base plate (60mm) latch breaks on hard ground. M9 base plate recommended.

Replace M115 boresight with M45. With mortars, first round hits on high elevation targets was difficult (took 5-6 rounds). Each man carried 2 mortar rounds each with mortar plt carrying 5 each.

LL: Mortars are essential in mountainous terrain because of the distance and terrain. It worked well that when halted the mortar rounds weren't all dropped off at the guns but only brought in to replace those fired. That way when they went to move again they didn't have to re-distribute the rounds.

Are there any scenarios depicting true mountainous terrain out there? I liked Fire on the Mountain from the old CMBO ROW II tourney, though most of the fighting (in my run through, anyway) took place in the valley between the two ranges. There were one or two Where Eagles Dared scenarios for CMBO too.

Anyone invested any time into mountain fighting in CMBB? Seems to me from reading about 10 Mountain, that there would be some pretty challenging aspects to it. Perhaps so much that a CMBB scenario or operation would not be feasible?

Or did such fighting simply not happen on the Eastern Front?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Sure it did, especially in the caucasian mountains during the summer/autumn 1942. There was heavy fighting for some of the important passes, up to 4000m high during Operation Edelweiß. On 21st August '42 soldiers from 1st and 4th Gebirgsjägerdivision actually climbed the Elbrus, the highest mountain in the caucasus region (5642m) to raise the battle flag of the Reich.

In a book I have a nice coulour photo of a german gun position at 4200m.

So I guess there is quite some stuff for creating a scenario or two... ;)

Are there any scenarios depicting true mountainous terrain out there? I liked Fire on the Mountain from the old CMBO ROW II tourney, though most of the fighting (in my run through, anyway) took place in the valley between the two ranges. There were one or two Where Eagles Dared scenarios for CMBO too.

I vaguely recall the "monster" CMBO scenario that had units of the 101st Airborne going up mountainous-like terrain to take Hitler's vacation spot. Quite an epic game in the terrain and forces.

Anyone invested any time into mountain fighting in CMBB? Seems to me from reading about 10 Mountain, that there would be some pretty challenging aspects to it. Perhaps so much that a CMBB scenario or operation would not be feasible?

As fate would have it, I am indeed considering a scenario or two as representative of the Southern front fighting as it approached the Balkans in 1944. Or, perhaps using partisans, some small-unit actions of Tito's guerillas could be attempted.

It's a tricky matter, of course. mountainous terrain USUALLY implies less mobility or maneuver options, at least for vehicles. But still doable. While I never got around to playing the speciality "Kampfgruppe Peiper" CMBO scenarios that one CM gamer designed, I was impressed with what I saw in terrain layouts for the maps.

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Spook:

[QBI vaguely recall the "monster" CMBO scenario that had units of the 101st Airborne going up mountainous-like terrain to take Hitler's vacation spot.

Did the scenario have a sound-mod included that made the troops cry out "Currahee" when they moved?[/QB]</font>

Hitler also got mad when those troops climbed the Elbrus, IIRC. He thought it was a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Compared to ... I don't know ... starting World War Two, it doesn't seem so stupid.

Lol, yeah! I've heard that story too but always wondered why he got mad when hearing about it? I guess it was a pretty nice story for the Wochenschau newsreel. But maybe he didn't like all that propaganda stuff...