Quick question about MODS

Originally posted by Buck Yaldy:

I know there are plenty of wonderful tutorials etc. that teach the fine points about MODS.

My question is once I start using MODS does that have an affect my version of CMBB?

Can I still play PBEM against someone with a "clean" vesrion of CMBB when I have all these MODS installed?

Thanks in advance!

MODS only affect the bitmap (*.bmp) or sound (.wav) files used by the game to generate the user-viewed battlefield. They do not affect the game engine which is hardcoded and cannot be modified. Thus, the players will always be using the same engine and it will not matter which MODS you have installed versus the ones installed by your PBEM opponent.

In fact, I would argue that it is very unlikely that two PBEM opponents have exactly the same MODS installed on their PCs (I know that I frequently make minor changes to bitmap files to reflect how I want the vehicles modelled).

Originally posted by Oldblood:

When we´re on the MOD thread, I can just ask: If U use a MOD will it replace the real file, or can u use a MOD without trashing the original file? Thnx.

You're right, the Mod replaces the original file. But you can look at the filenames of the mod and backup the files from your original, or use a mod manager, or backup the whole bmp folder if you like :D