Any US Combat Engineers Present?

I was an 11B and was always jelous that you guys got to play with the big fireworks more than I did. I didn't envy you having to carry them around though.

Just a quick question, do all 12 series build things when they get bored? Our guys were always building some funky new obstical in the field when they had nothing better to do.

Zealotburner, You will spend your time:

-Installing/clearing/breaching minefields

-Installing/breaching concertina wire

-Setting up other obstacles such as roadblocks, tank traps, etc.

-Installing portable bridges, to include those supported on boats/rafts so that the combat units can cross.

-Using demolitions to accomplish the breaching/clearing missions in many cases.

-Did I mention picking up cigarette butts?

-Lots of freezing, sweating, getting rained on, laying in the mud, bug bites, shooting guns, etc.

Think of the Infantry but with more varied skills.

Combat Engineers are the first in the breach and, historically, take many KIA/WIA so that the rest of the killers can get close to the enemy.

You will go to Combat Engineer School(12B) at Fort Leonardwood, MO for around 4 months.

After that you will be assigned to a Combat Engineer unit somewhere. This could be a mech unit or a light infantry unit.

If it is mech your unit will support a combat unit with lots of tanks and APCs. Getting squished by a track is something you learn to avoid. For example the 3rd Infantry Division that is know heading for Kuwait.

If it is a light infantry unit, you could end up part of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC. Lots of walking and jumping out of airplanes.

Fellow 12Bs, what have I forgotten?

Good luck. Get in shape before you go, as it makes things so much easier.

If you have any more questions, ask.

A site with some info:

Combat Engineer info