Are you still playing CMBB like its CMBO?

After being gone from CM for a couple months and now getting back into playing TCP/IP and PBEM games I noticed something. After all this time, I still try to do things that worked in CMBO.

I played CMBO for some time {I have lost count of years} before CMBB came out. I developed a style of play that worked pretty well in QB engagements. I played endlessly, sometimes 15 PBEM games at a time {not to my wifes liking though redface.gif )! That method of playing became engrained in me.

The CMBB demo comes out and I get my trash kicked by the AI! :eek: Right then and there, after that first game, I knew that I had to change some things. Since then I, with the rest of us, have been trying out new things in CMBB to see what works and how to best develop my tactics {it is still a game, and there are better ways to play games than others}. Before my CM break, I was doing okay.

Now that I am playing again, I find that I have forgotton a lot of what I learned about CMBB and I am resorting to a lot of my old CMBO tactics. Has anyone else had this problem?

For example, infantry are a whole different story now; both in what they can do and in what can be done to them. Remember in CMBO when you could run accross fields under fire and still make it? Does anyone still try this anymore? I do smile.gif You can guess the results . . .

So does anyone else have problems in CMBB with old CMBO tactics/methods? Any simple suggestions on what you do different with Infantry, Armor, MG's, Guns, Artillery, ect. ?

I felt like I was a lot better with CMBO than I am with CMBB, so I am trying to help out my lacking tactics in CMBB with {hopefully} some advice.

Thanks in advance

Chad

I agree with your points, and yes, I still use CMBO tactics out of habit. smile.gif Battles were far more fluid in CMBO, while CMBB requires greater firepower and coordination to launch a successful attack. Gains in CMBB are measured in feet rather than the yards gained in CMBO, if you know what I mean. It is a much more plodding experience on the Eastern Front.

Nice to know I am not the only one still having trouble adapting! :D

Not really firefly. I'm playing CMBO like CMBB but it's not that successful. For example, area fire just doesn't work well in CMBO. So all I'm doing is wasting ammo. Unfortunately, I don't discover such things until it's too late smile.gif

In CMBB you NEED tanks. You cannot win consistently without tanks. In CMBO I rarely bought tanks and was able to win consistently.

Chad, so much has been written on it you will likely find piles of info with a search on whatever you are specifically interested in.

A couple things though:

-HMGs will almost immediately drop any squad in the open.

-infantry need to be supported with HE against all opposition. Unlike in CMBO, in CMBB infantry are for finding the enemy, HE is for killing him. The trick in BB is just getting your infantry close enough to identify enemy positions, and then to waste enemy squads once your HE chuckers have routed them.

-armor superiority is key

-loads of HE is key . . . if you run out of it, your attack is likely over

this is a start, hope it helps.

Combined arms is much more important in CMBB than it was in CMBO. Marching infantry across an open field won't work, but marching infantry across an open field while smoke shells land on enemy positions, tanks with cover arc commands and move to contact orders following close behind, and on map mortars at the ready to suppress any enemy HMGs or AT guns that pop; now that will work.

And then there's the human wave command...

this is so funny. i started regressing to cmbo becoz my pbem opponent is still playing cmbo. and i find myself overly cautious in CMBO, eg. i like to hide my troops alot more often, i doan rush tanks like i used to do before and i am more careful about hq units. perhaps, i am learning, but more likely, i am just applying cmbb tactics into cmbo. My opponent, on the other hand, likes to rush into the action, usually with predictable results. another thing, i stopped using smoke, never really used it in cmbb anyway....

Soddball, I have much better things to do with my life than beat you into the ground again. smile.gif Yet if you insist on another beating, I may just consent.

Thanks for the replies everyone else. I know the new tricks a little bit and its not so much needing to learn the new tricks. Its more that I spent so much time playing CMBO that now its a whole different world in ways with CMBB!

Funny stuff if you ask me smile.gif Already though I have learned one thing: dont run under fire! Advancing is sooo much better!

Chad