Pz. III and Pz. IV

As for the StuG's the StuG IIIG was based on the Pz.III chassis, while the StuG IV was based on the Pz.IV. The StuG IV was built partly because of allied bombing of StuG III production plants and to get more vehicles to the over streached armored units. The StuG III seems to be better to me because its a little faster turning because its a slightly smaller vehicle. Aside from that they are very similar.

In CMBO and CMBB the StuG IV is much more mobile in difficult ground conditions due to the lower average ground pressure.

I don't think this is realistic, but it is the way it is coded in, so I always prefer the IV when I can get it. I think the IV also holds more main gun ammunition.

The Panzer IV chassis is mostly just a lengthened, widened version of the Panzer III chassis and a stronger drivetrain. This extra size allowed things such as more armor, larger turret, etc.

The Stug III was based on the Pz III chassis, and a Stug IV is nothing but the upper structure of a Stug IIIG mounted on a Pz IV chassis to increase production of Stug's.

Easiest way to tell the difference is the number of road wheels and return rollers. Pz III has 6 road wheels and 3 return rollers per side, Pz IV has 8 road wheels and 4 return rollers.

-Hans

the pz4 was built as support-tank with a short 75mm gun. the pz3 insteadd for fighting enemy tanks with a 37mm gun. because of heavier gun and bigger turret, the pz4 had a more powerful engine and a bigger hull. so the pz4 has 8 "laufrollen" (wheels), and the pz3 only 6 on every side. same with the stug-convertion.