Can you explain this?

Hey guys need a little advice here I'm a bit confused by this. I have just played and completed a Quick Battle - Romanian V the Soviet AI. I won the game by the skin of my teeth, but the casualties screen is what is confusing me.

winter29.jpg

After the battle I took a look at the casualties on screen, and there are the remnants of 2 Soviet Pioneer squads, plus one ran off map - suggesting that I was facing a platoon? This was only a 300 point battle however, and I was up against heavy machine guns, a tank destroyer and BA vehicle too. I had the advantage in troop numbers, not the AI, so can the AI delegate single squads rather than entire platoons in his force mix?

It surely is possible that the teams ran off map - but how expensive would a Crack Pioneer team be to the soviets in Jan 44. Take into account they only had 300 points, and fielded a SU74, BA, 1 x HMG (at least) along with a couple of LMG by the looks of things.

More importantly, they only had 37 men on the field in total? Is that right, or do you add the 8 KIA to the number too?

Russian force, all crack (high quality chosen randomly I suspect) -

1 SU-76M

1 BA-64B

Regimental Pioneer Platoon

1 12.7mm HMG (or Maxim, possibly)

2 DP LMG

261 points, +29 for standard rariety gives 290 points.

Vehicles crews are 4+2 = 6 men, pioneers are 3+9+9 = 21 men, MG crews are 6+2+2 = 10 men, total 37 men.

The unit you saw exit the map was the HQ.

The AI rarely picks its forces well or uses all its points, especially in low point total battles. It typically starts by filling out the armor and vehicle screens within its force type budget, then buys whatever infantry it can with what is left, and rounds out with teams.

Clearly, unless the SU-76 proves completely invulnerable, this force has no chance against a full company of infantry. The rifles and MGs are barely enough to cast a net of eyes and ranged fire to interdict open ground, if completely defensive and stationary. Since instead the AI will try to advance as long as there is a single flag it does not hold...

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

One of the 76.2mm guns knocked the BA out - but the R35 took out the SU, upper side shot if I recall.

Wow, the L/21 37mm R35 gun KOed armour! How very unusual.

Actually I've used them a bit during 41 for the Rums because they are relatively rather effective against all that light obsolete stuff that the Russians started with. (T-26s & BTs) They are well protected in comparison and probably most importantly practically invulnerable to the ATRs, unlike the R2s / T-35s. However for all that I always found them to have a tendancy to run out of ammo too quickly in a stand and shoot out.

PS: BTW DREVAK I think that the Rumanian trucks come with those cool skins IIRC.

Originally posted by DREVAK:

Hey there, Phil, I was wondering what "skin" is that (and perhaps if a similiar one exists for AK as well)? Looks pretty cool (and more eyes pleasing than the default one I might add smile.gif )!

If you are talking about the UI, it is by Tarkus and at cmmods.

I'll ignore your sig...