How does infantry killing work?

Like, how much firepower total does it take for every soldier in a squad to be killed?

Also, I notice in the info panel(Enter) The firepower is added up from only 1 of each weapon in the squad. But if there were, say, 7 people carring a certain gun then wouldnt the firepower be multiplied before being added to the squads firepower?

And what exactly does pinned mean the game? As opposed to panic and routed.

Yes, I am a newbie, fresh and hot from the oven ;)

Originally posted by I am Evil Homer:

Like, how much firepower total does it take for every soldier in a squad to be killed?

Also, I notice in the info panel(Enter) The firepower is added up from only 1 of each weapon in the squad. But if there were, say, 7 people carring a certain gun then wouldnt the firepower be multiplied before being added to the squads firepower?

And what exactly does pinned mean the game? As opposed to panic and routed.

Yes, I am a newbie, fresh and hot from the oven ;)

Pinned,means they are taking fire and dont want to move or stick their heads up for fear of being killed.Panic and routed are just that,they've had enough and are "going crazy",they will risk life and limb to just get the heck out of there.You lose control of the squad or whatever and they never return fire or fight back,atleast not that i have seen.

As a side question,do/did you play BF 1942?I remember seeing a evil homer playing sometimes.

[ February 26, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

Yes I believe I did play that game under this screen name, my favorite thing was riding on the front of jeeps and getting infantry kills w/bazooka while in motion so they r all like WTF?

Too bad you cant do that in this game :D

I dont remeber right off hand if you were good(i think you were),but wait till you learn some stuff from CM and apply it to BF 1942,you will rape :)Trust me.I played Omaha alot and used the screen name of *,this is where i remember you from.

Welcome to CM,your gonna love this game,and as stated in the other thread you posted,start with CMBO and ease into BB.

[ February 26, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

the way it's explained in the Manual(pg 103) gives a German rifle 44 squad, it has 6 K98.. so thats 6 X fp 3 at 250m = 18fp (firepower) but says the increments in the info panel is more for player refrence since the game uses a more precise method.

as for not being able to ride around on hoods of jeeps rocket blasting everyone.. I am glad.. otherwise I'd snap this disk in half like I did the BF1942 one :D I do enjoy MOH tho

2 more questions that came up, although this pertained to the CMBO demo.

How do u make an engineer squad use charges on mine(disarm) or pillboxes? there doesnt seem to be a command for it, do I have to wait until they are right over the minefield or defensive structure b4 performing action?

Do forests reduce your visibility from far away enemies? Cuz in the valley of trouble I was pissed off to see that my artillery spotters were being attacked by pillboxes despite the fact that they were an extreme distance away and my spotters were even prone at the time, but on a large sandy hill not a forest or bush

2 more questions that came up, although this pertained to the CMBO demo.

How do u make an engineer squad use charges on mine(disarm) or pillboxes? there doesnt seem to be a command for it, do I have to wait until they are right over the minefield or defensive structure b4 performing action?

Do forests reduce your visibility from far away enemies? Cuz in the valley of trouble I was pissed off to see that my artillery spotters were being attacked by pillboxes despite the fact that they were an extreme distance away and my spotters were even prone at the time, but on a large sandy hill not a forest or bush

Uggh,i hate to be the one to do this,as i hate it when i see others do it,but this is the main thing about CM,it is a very deep strategy game.I am willing to bet that you have never played a war game with this degree of realism,strategy,or replayability.That being said,you need to draw on all the info on this site,there is a search feature,and there are old posts dating all the way back to '99 at the bottom of the main froum page.What i did was start in '99 and just read through,or since they are listed alphabetically,you can go right to the page/letter your looking for.Trust me,if something pisses you off in the game,and it doesnt seem realistic,or doesnt make sense,it is your way of thinking or strategy that is flawed.Believe me,im not trying to be a "know it all",or smart ass,but i have found that my way of thinking and strategies have been flawed more times than not.

I hope this helps,now get to learning,the more you know the better the game gets.Trust me ;)

Ps,

If you want to have a go at multiplay,give a yell,and we will hook up.Im not sure if its possible with the demo or not,and not sure of any restrictions that would apply.

My god i wish i could type one post and not have to edit the damn thing :mad: :D

[ February 26, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

The firepower numbers don't exactly correspond to how much of your squad gets killed. As a silly example, a crew off a destroyed tank with just a handgun has a firepower rate of... 1? But sit him next to a squad and let him spend the next dozen turns plinking away at them, he'll eventually do more dammage than his low firepower number implies. :D

[ February 27, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

How does infantry killing work?
HHmm, I usually shoot them in head or body or blow them up, rarely I use arty or airplanes. Sometimes it can be needed to stab em if you are really close.

There are however reports about cruel members of this board, most notable the Cess Pool, who take delight into *tickling* enemy infantry to dead, or giving them a nice alcohol-poisoning. These rumours are unfounded, though - but anyway I'd watch out for those Ticklers of Deadâ„¢ if I were you.

Sorry, couldn't resist...the topic title was sooo asking for it. :D