A Heckuva Surprise

***SPOILER ON PROKHOROVKA BATTLE***Playing the Prokhorovka scenario (finale) and had a tense moment happen. Very tense.

Three PzIV's and 4 Marder III's advanced up the north side of the playing area unmolested in order to support the main thrust from the flank. Half way up the map the support group stopped and realigned for a flank advance on the next objective (around turn 5 or 6).

I clicked the end turn button and whammo, sitting in the midst of my group was 3 T-34's and 4 T-70's (or was that T-60's?). This sucked. My PzIV's had their butts pointing at the T-34's and their flanks to the little Russian tanks. But right behind the Russians sat my Marder III's.

I gave the PzIV's orders to blast the little guys while the Marder III's were to blast the T-34's at point blank range. At the end of the crazy battle, I lost only 1 Marder III and destroyed all the Russian reinforcements.

Now for some help...I want to take a picture and post it here but I don't know how...can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance...I will keep looking thru the manual while waiting.

[ February 23, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Redmow ]

Originally posted by Redmow:

Playing the Prokhorovka scenario (finale) and had a tense moment happen. Very tense.

Three PzIV's and 4 Marder III's advanced up the north side of the playing area unmolested in order to support the main thrust from the flank. Half way up the map the support group stopped and realigned for a flank advance on the next objective (around turn 5 or 6).

I clicked the end turn button and whammo, sitting in the midst of my group was 3 T-34's and 4 T-70's (or was that T-60's?). This sucked. My PzIV's had their butts pointing at the T-34's and their flanks to the little Russian tanks. But right behind the Russians sat my Marder III's.

I gave the PzIV's orders to blast the little guys while the Marder III's were to blast the T-34's at point blank range. At the end of the crazy battle, I lost only 1 Marder III and destroyed all the Russian reinforcements.

Now for some help...I want to take a picture and post it here but I don't know how...can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance...I will keep looking thru the manual while waiting.

simply hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard in the game, then minimize CMBB and go to some paint program and "paste" the image into the program.

save it as a jpeg after you do whatever touch-ups you want to do and then upload the picture to a web site and post the picture link here.

***SPOILER***

Redmow,

The same happened to me ; i was playing the german, i chose the same (excellent) stactic as you but those unrealistic russian reinforcement location spoiled my game.

My opponent was angry of this (lost all his reinforcement) and we simply stopped the game.

I wrote to the author, i suggest you do the same because it's a shame such a great scenario is unplayable just because of this reinforcement location flaw.

I think I have told this story before, but it's a good one so here goes.

***Possible Spoiler***

I was playing one of the Panzer Maier scenario's for CMBO against the AI a while ago. I made this beautifull flanking movement with IIRC 3 Panzer IV's. While almost in the back of the "enemy" all of a sudden my 3 Panzers are faced with re-inforcements in the form of some 5 Shermans. I could take them flank on because they were dropped in the middle of my advance path. Although it did take the fun out of that particular battle, it was fun to see those 5 Shermans go up in flames within 1 turn.

Mies

**SPOILER** :D

Yes, I've just run into this little featurette of this scenario in a PBEM. I was playing Russian, and my reinforcements turned up in the middle of half the German army. My plucky little T34s seemed to be having trouble with their ammo that day. And their aim. Good job there weren't any barn doors around that day, 'cause they'd have missed those too. Literally, four tanks at ranges of ~50m couldn't hit a thing. At least the T60/70's gave a good account of themselves and took out a couple of PIII's before succumbing.

Personally I wasn't too pleased. I mean why bother with the reinforcements at all? Why not just deduct the points and be done with it? :mad:

*****SPOILER*****

I have to say I think this was a mistake in scenario design. I had the Russians in a PBEM in this scenario and my reinforcements end up as a bunch of crates of flaming tin within seconds of landing just behind an enemy tank platoon. We could all complain here, but it might make more sense to post our views over at the Scenario Depot. Since the scenario is on the CD, it probably won't be revised, but at least we can register our response.