MG Bunker blows up MG Carrier

I swear, I have the game saved as well. QB Vs AI. Soviet MG carrier advances towards my bunker which opens up with a burst of fire and the Carrier exploded in a huge ball of flame!!

Hollywood action or what? Does this mean that MG fire has some armour penetration value as well? I was well surprised to see it go up to MG fire.

Was that meant to happen or has anyone else seen anything like this?

Yes, have seen it. MGs certainly have armour penetration - just try a German HMG against a Purple Heart Box, at short distance (below 200m). You'll be surprised. The Hollywood effect is a bit annoying sometimes, but dead is dead.

The ammo used for this was called SMK (steel mantlet core). IIRC it could defeat up to 8/9mm of armour at short ranges.

Ahhhhh! Thanks, Andreas. I read about that SMK rounds from WW1. They used them against the Whippet tanks and other armoured Vehicles?

I am sure they were fired from standard rifles as well but I could be wrong.

Thanks again for the info, any more details would be welcome.

Sorry, mishtake in translation. SmK (sic!) stands for 'Pointed Round with Core' (Spitzgeschoss mit Kern). The core is steel, with a lead cover and a steel mantlet.

The MV would be lower than that of an ordinary round, but the speed loss would also be lower, leading to higher impact energy at range. Initially introduced to deal with trench shield armour in WW I, then used against first tanks.

Quantities available, at least early in the war, must have been reasonable, judging from an ammo use report by 21.ID during early Barbarossa, where ~ 8% of 7.92 ammo fired off during the two days of a major engagement (in which Soviet tanks were present) was SmK.

Originally posted by Meach:

Did the allies have anything like it?

Yes. I don't know what whether the Russians had AP ammo for any of their major small arms calibers, but the US produced AP ammo in the .30-'06 caliber. My understanding is that this AP ammo was issued primarily for the BAR, though since the caliber was the same there would be nothing to prevent troops using it in Garands as well. I read one comment by a BAR Gunner from the Italian Campaign who said that by 1944 they were pretty much using only the AP ammo in the BAR because of its superior penetration into cover (buildings and the like).

Of course, the .50 M2 also had AP ammo, and this AP ammo was used extensively for aircraft mounted weapons (one per 4-5 rounds, I believe). I don't know how much .50 AP ammo was issued to ground troops.

Cheers,

YD