Patch Suggestions / Afrika Corps

Two major suggestions:

Make minefields work. Having hundreds of enemy infantry skirt mine fields as effortlessly as traveling along a wide-open road on a bright summers day is quite retarded. other than making the enemy shift their movement over a TINY bit, these are completely useless. Havn't tested with tanks, but I'm going to go ahead and guess it doesnt work on them either.

Give us recordable demo abilities. When my match is done, I would love to have a button that says "record as demo", so I can save the match to a file, send it to my friends, post it on a forum, and have other people download it and watch it. Preferably get rid of the 60 second pause for commands period in the recording, so you can view it straight through with no interruptions. Also, a scroll bar to facilitate fast forwarding/rewinding would be excellent.

Originally posted by Kyrandos:

Well then please fix my game, I have a bug where the enemies constantly and consistantly walk around minefields as if they had some humongous flaring red beacon.

They do not work in my game.

Minefields did not really kill lots of people in WW2, IIRC. I believe their best use was in denying the enemy access to certain patches of land.

"Minefields did not really kill lots of people in WW2, IIRC. I believe their best use was in denying the enemy access to certain patches of land. "

They don't do that very well. They cover a tiny parcel of land, the infantry walk right around it.

Private Ryan, no, I do not.

It may be a question of tactics rather than the game. It sounds like you are only using one square of mines in a fairly open area, which won't have much effect. Try not to think of them as something that will cause casualties, but instead will force your opponent to do things that you want him to.

Easy solution is to purchase more than one "Land Mine" square and place them next to each other to cover more territory. This will cause more casualties as they stumble into multiple minefields. Also, since you know they will eventually go around it, make sure to plan it so they go where you want them to. Then, because you have a good idea where they will be going, make sure to have something appropriate waiting for them. MG's, AT guns, infantry....whatever is right for the type of thing that is coming at you.

If it's infantry, try adding some barbed wire to slow them down in the kill zone. Toss in a TRP and some mortars for added effect. If it's tanks, also use a TRP to increase the odds of killing before they can react.

Also, pay close attention to the terrain you are using them in. If there is a really nice looking batch of tree's that you KNOW your opponent is going to send troops in, it's a perfect place to put the mines. Either he will take casualties by staying in the mines, or it will deny him from going to the good terrain where he wants and will stay in the open longer.

-Hans

Originally posted by Siege:

It may be a question of tactics rather than the game. It sounds like you are only using one square of mines in a fairly open area, which won't have much effect. Try not to think of them as something that will cause casualties, but instead will force your opponent to do things that you want him to.

Easy solution is to purchase more than one "Land Mine" square and place them next to each other to cover more territory. This will cause more casualties as they stumble into multiple minefields. Also, since you know they will eventually go around it, make sure to plan it so they go where you want them to. Then, because you have a good idea where they will be going, make sure to have something appropriate waiting for them. MG's, AT guns, infantry....whatever is right for the type of thing that is coming at you.

If it's infantry, try adding some barbed wire to slow them down in the kill zone. Toss in a TRP and some mortars for added effect. If it's tanks, also use a TRP to increase the odds of killing before they can react.

Also, pay close attention to the terrain you are using them in. If there is a really nice looking batch of tree's that you KNOW your opponent is going to send troops in, it's a perfect place to put the mines. Either he will take casualties by staying in the mines, or it will deny him from going to the good terrain where he wants and will stay in the open longer.

What he said.

Michael

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kyrandos:

They cover a tiny parcel of land, the infantry walk right around it.

Errr... you do realize that you are supposed to use them in quantity, don't you? One or two are only good as a mild annoyance </font>

I usually buy about 10 of them each match. If I have to break my budget buying around 50 of these things for the enemy to all of a sudden not detect them a mile away, forget it. They are broke. I am informed they work decently against other players, but really, I assure you, I know how to set up a good defense, I know what I'm doing, and mines are junk.

Kyrandos, are you using daisey chain mines? smile.gif

There is no way that mines should be spotted from a distance unless they are of the daisey chain variety (which are hastily plance mines to simply deny movement). I have used mines often and as many others here have suggested they work fine. If you like, send me a save game showing this behaviour and Ill try and see what is happening.

Dan