Definition of "Bi'r"?

It means a lot of things. Mostly it seems to mean "well":

The ancient name of Beirut "Biruta " was derived from the semetic word "well" in Arabic "Bir" because of the abundance of wells that provided the citys water supply. from here

also on this page are a number of physical feature words in Arabic, bir is listed as a "water hole or well" (like the Hebrew Beer )

In turkish, it means the number one, and Al-Bir means "Rightousness and Piety" uh...the reference

your local know-it-all

Zimorodok

[ September 24, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Zimorodok ]

Originally posted by JonS:

...Sidi (Sidi Rezegh) was a mosque or tomb?

Having embarrassed myself once already in this thread, it would probably be discrete for me to keep quiet, but I can't resist opining that I think Sidi does mean saint, so Sidi Rezegh is the name of the person entombed there. All speakers of Arabic may correct or clarify.

Michael

ah Google, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways ...

ARABIC; ENGLISH

Ain or Ein; Spring (fount)

Akhdar; Green

Bab; Mountain Pass

Bir; Well

Buhr; Sea

Deir; Depression

Derb; Trail or road

Hamada: expanse of stone fragments covering the ground

Jebel or Gebel; Mountain

Ras; peak; summit of mountain

Sidi; Saint (usually refers to tomb of named saint)

Tell; artificial hillock formed by the ruins of settlements, earth and sand that have accumulated over time

Thamila; water hole

Wadi; river bed that is dry for a good part of the year

Edits: List revised and expanded.

[ September 24, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

LOL - farts galore today smile.gif yes, IIRC, Sidi is 'saint'.

I'll frantically try and cover my (windy) ass by saying that most places beginning with Sidi (Sidi Resegh, Sidi Azeiz, etc) refer to the tomb/mosque of the named saint. Thus, Sidi Resegh is ... ah ... what Michael said, the tomb of Saint Resegh.

Incidentally, here is a pic of it smile.gif

WH2Tob25b.jpg

Not terribly salubrious, is it?

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

...most places beginning with Sidi (Sidi Resegh, Sidi Azeiz, etc) refer to the tomb/mosque of the named saint. Thus, Sidi Resegh is ... ah ... what Michael said, the tomb of Saint Resegh.

That's right. The place takes its name from the person entombed there. I was trying to think of an elegant way of saying that in my earlier post, but for some reason I am slow at getting my brain into gear tonight.

I mean even slower than usual.

Michael

My corner hot dog guy is Egyptian. I tried to ask him about this, and started with Bir. Unfortunately my arabic is horrid. He thought I was talking about beer. Got an interesting speech in broken english on the evils of alchohol, and 2 half smokes with relish and cheese.

WWB

Let me know if you guys have anymore Arabic Questions. I work with around 2,000 Arabic speakers to include a number of Ph.d from Egypt, Tunisia (sorry no Libyans)Syria, Jordan... and other diverse places with extensive geological/terrain information.

Spoke briefly to one about this and he noted that place names are different in different parts of the Arab world due to dialect differences AND Arabization of existing place names from earlier cultures.

Many of the names you see on Libyan maps are European guesstimates of what the Arab names really were - also many wells etc had more than one name - the Sayyid tribe might call it X and the Hajizani would call it Y...etc

Hans of Arabia

As I understand it The Senussi are now a generic term for the tribes of Libya, they are made up numerous bedouin groups plus the clans that live in the cities.

Over time its become a catch all term for Arab tribes living in Libya.

Short history (for those who want to bail out)

There an Islamic movement called the Senussi (also Sanusi or Sanusiya) brotherhood was established, a movement whose founder, Muhammad bin Ali al-Sanusi, was from Algeria.

The Sanussi are descendants of the prophet through Hasan, son of Imam Ali, the fourth Caliph, by his daughter, Fatima. Hasan's grandson, Idris ibn Ali, arrived in North Africa during the 8th century AD, having failed in his revolt against the Abbasid Caliph. He established the Idrisid state at Fez, in Morocco. The family takes its name from a religious Sheikh named Sanussi who lived in Themcen during the 13th century. Their descendant Sayyid Muhammad ibn 'Ali as-Sanussi, established the Senussi Order in 1837 with strict adherence to Muslim principles, eshewing ostentation, tobacco and alchohol, and the music, dancing and gyrations practiced by the existing orders. Unable to cross Algeria because of the French occupation, he established his capital at at Jaghbub, in Cyrenaica. He built a great mosque an a university which came to rival Al-Azhar, but which was shut down on the orders of Khadafy in 1984, the graves and remains of the Sanussi family being desecrated at the same time.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Emrys made a bollocks of it!

wipes laugh tears away

Sorry, all. Bloody Grog.*

<small font>*Can't be having people saying I've gone all soft on the likes of Emrys, now, can we?<small font>

Well, as for you, you old doofus, you wouldn't have known the difference if it hadn't been pointed out to you.

[pushes Seanachai down a long flight of stairs and giggles insanely when the old sod lands in a crumpled heap at the bottom]

Can't have people thinking I've gone soft on you either.

[brushes dust from hands]

Michael

Originally posted by Zimorodok:

It means a lot of things.

[snips]

in Arabic, bir is listed as a "water hole or well" (like the Hebrew Beer )

In turkish, it means the number one, and Al-Bir means "Rightousness and Piety"

[snips]

I know it's too much to expect people wanting translations done to offer either payment or context, but wouldn't it make life easier all round of they could at least specify the language they have in mind?

Furrfu!

All the best,

John.