Things scenario designers should NOT do.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

And the same applies to my above example, where is the fun in playing a battle where the battle *is over* by turn 3 (!) because the scenario designer thought he would make a realstic example of how easy it is for your vehicles to bog down!

If there was SOMETHING the player could do about it, like keeping on the roads etc., then yes, I can understand your argumentation, because then the player had a CHOICE in risking the AFVs by driving in the mud. But when the player has NO choice, then it's just a boring example of how easy it is to bog and neither players will find much enjoyment in the game, because the attacking players vehicles are immobilized in the setup zone.

Actually, that sounds like an excellent idea for a scenario. Armor bogs on first turn. The player must protect the tanks as the basis of the game. Opponent to destroy or capture as much of the armor as possible.

I like it.

[ January 24, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Egbert ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

No ladder player would have taken up that challenge. If I went by Panzer76's rules, I'd have restarted and played something safe.

What? "Panzer76's rules"?! Did you start under fire in this scenario? Did you lose half your forces before you made contact with the enemy and there was nothing you could do about it?

No, so I suggest you read what I actually wrote instead of putting words in my mouth!

Originally posted by Stoffel:

hmm,would you be willing to tell which battle this is?

We might be in a better position to discuss it once we know what we are talking about.

I dont want to point out specific scenarios, I dont feel thats fair towards the designer. I just raised some issues *I* had with some scanarios, and felt that people would mostly agree with me.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

I just raised some issues *I* had with some scanarios, and felt that people would mostly agree with me.

Hey worry not. FWIW, I'm with ya- it's pretty simple. I've said everything you said up there before, probably more than once.

There's one scenario I've played where almost my entire force was completely ambushed... by a defensive entrenchment!!! Figure that one out!

Eden

Hmm,

I dont agree on that statement panzer.

If I played that one I can tell you if you are right,or not.

It might be a good chance to improve that scenario by giving a judgement about it or even better by giving more advice to make it better.

I just saw a review on one of Michael Dorosh's scenarios,the player gave that one very low points degrading the scenario which is very good.

In this case it must have been a player who cant employ proper tactics to reach his goals because I had no problems to win it.

It is amazing how people rate scenarios as bad if they can't beat them. Usually the ones that kick my but are the best ones (provided there is nothing totally out of whack with them). It just makes it so much better to actually win. It also makes me remember my tactics.

(This is not aimed at anyone in particular so please don't start flaming. Just sounding off that's all. :D )

Just as it is clear, I have no problem with a difficult scenario, hey, I prefer them. I get more enjoyment out of a though fight than a walk over.

I do not, however, get enjoyment out of losing the battle before it's begun, and there is nothing I can do with it. (start under fire, start with Panzers in mud etc)