LRDG site for CMAK

I did a major hunt for info on PPA a year or so ago and didn't turn up much on the web, but that may have changed. The best source of info remains the book. It was re-released here in the UK last year and is available on Amazon.

IIRC there is a scenario for PPA in Talonsofts Western Front that could easily be adapted to CMAK if the relevant units are available. I'll tackle that if there are no PPA or LRDG scenarios that ship with the game which is unlikely I think considering BFC's attention to detail smile.gif

There is also Bob Yunnies book, Fighting with Popskis Private Army.

This Site has most of the pertinent information about PPA

[ August 01, 2003, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pies ]

Thanks Capt. Pies

You have led me to the possible ultimate treasure trove [at least for British and Commonwealth] of militaria -

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/regtintro/index.htm

and amongts all its treasures is a link to

http://www.napoleonseries.com/index.cfm

absolutely brilliant resource - even for non-geeks like me. I mean I had forgtten that we occupied Heligoland for most of the 19th century. Doh!

I think one of the Ballantine series edited by Barrie Pitt is devoted to the LRDG.

For those not familiar, this was an excellent series of books devoted to many various aspects of WW II. I think the series began in 1968 and ran for about ten years, with several of the books being kept in print at least well into the '80s. Unfortunately, the best ones had limited runs and have been out of print as far as I know for twenty-five years or more. I used to come across them in used book stores and thrift shops and eagerly snapped up any titles I didn't already have. Most of them were written by reputable historians or men who actually had been personally involved with the topic. They originally sold for $1 in the US but are collector's items now costing much more unless you luck out. They are concise and generously illustrated. If you are at all serious about WW II history, I would recommend that you keep an eye out for them.

Michael

Dieseltaylor,

If you are interested in the Napoleonic wars, you might look for a book called Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars by Stephen Pope, ISBN 0-8160-4243-8. It's more like an encyclopedia than a dictionary and contains zillions of articles on nearly everything having to do with its subject including some pretty obscure topics. I got my copy for about $10, so it's not expensive either.

Michael

Thanks Michael

I am in limbo at the moment b'cos most of my reference stuff is stored up at the moment. I am not really a grog but I like books in general. I think what you refer to is part of a series - I think I have one on the Jap army and one other.

On Naps I got -

The Greenhill Napoleonic Wars Data Book [582 page]

by Digby Smith isbn 1-85367-276-9

remaindered for about 15bucks .Incredibly exhaustive day by day account of all skirmishes. Including naval landings in the Baltic etc etc.

A bit like a phone book in reciting who was there who lost what etc

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

On Naps I got -

The Greenhill Napoleonic Wars Data Book [582 page]

by Digby Smith isbn 1-85367-276-9

remaindered for about 15bucks .Incredibly exhaustive day by day account of all skirmishes. Including naval landings in the Baltic etc etc.

A bit like a phone book in reciting who was there who lost what etc

Sounds impressive. I'll keep a lookout for it.

BTW, does it give much coverage to the naval war aside from the landings?

Michael

[ August 01, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Re Napoleons etc

Battle of Trafalgar gets 2.25 sides of A4 size.

Complete list of ships , captains, numbers lossed and wounded per ship and state of ship at the end

Brief comment on global view but no battle details

But for mentioning and detail on all incidents

e.g. 12/7/1801 Algeciras Naval Clash

27 lines

15/08/01 Boulogne Naval Clash

10 lines [incidentally Nelson was in command for this!]

French losses10 KIA 30 wounded [gunboat crews]

British 44 KIA 144 wounded

so it does go down to skirmish level

The sub heading for the book is

Actions and Losses in Personnel, Colours, Standards and Artillery 1792-1815

The author is also known as Otto von Pivka and has written Navies of the Napoleonic Wars

A couple weeks ago I finished reading Broadsides: The Age of Fighting Sail, 1775-1815 by Nathan Miller, ISBN 0-471-18517-5. In spite of being a quick, easy read, this contained a useful amount of information on the major personalities of the era, all of the major battles and a sampling of the minor ones, and a glimpse into what life in the navies of Europe and America were like.

Michael