Funny goings on?

Okay, I'm just wondering if there is something a little dodgy going on in a PBEM game at the moment, and so is my opponent... Artillery barrages have been landing like 500m off target (as in the whole thing), and one of his tanks decided to drive forward for no reason - it wasn't under fire or anything.

There's also something slightly weird going on with the encoding in the e-mails, which maybe is attributed to it... well this is what "CMBB PBEM game?" looks like when he sends it to me:

=?iso-8859-2?Q?re?=

and his zip files are also garbled in the same kind of way. I can read them, and they all work fine, and I can read his text, just not the subject and the zip files.

So I just wondered if this was our game being really buggy for some reason, or if FOs tend to miss by 500m or more? Or if SP-Guns move forward a lot on their own. I've played CM for a while now, and I can't think of any situation like this.

- If your spotter breaks LOS (due to smoke. dust, hiding, etc.) while waiting for the artillery to fall the rounds could certainly go astray. CMBB does not like targetting out of LOS. There have been lost of heated threads on the subject.

- Spontaneous tank movements? I bet nobody on the board is going to gasp in disbelief that that happened. They'd be more likely to be surprised that you're surprised!

- Garbled files? Outside of my realm of expertise.

Is your opponent from Europe?

ISO 8859-2 is a part of ISO 8859 standard for 8 bit character sets for Western languages (i.e

Latin, Greek, Cyrillic etc.). The problem might be that your system isn't supporting ISO 8859-2

at the moment and that is the reason for "garbled" emails. I think that correct

solution is to install ISO 8859-2 fonts and your mails should display correctly.

Ah thanks guys, I just wanted some assurances on it all... to be honest, I've never used artillery out of LOS before, so shooting blindly is something I hadn't really thought about.

or it could be as simple as the AFV being open topped and high trajectory HE is falling nearby.
That's probably it, thanks.

Is your opponent from Europe?

ISO 8859-2 is a part of ISO 8859 standard for 8 bit character sets for Western languages (i.e

Latin, Greek, Cyrillic etc.). The problem might be that your system isn't supporting ISO 8859-2

at the moment and that is the reason for "garbled" emails. I think that correct

solution is to install ISO 8859-2 fonts and your mails should display correctly.

Ah thanks, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks everyone! smile.gif