Help with German Canister shots

From previous topics...

The 75L24 cannister was supposed to be valued for effectiveness against human wave attacks, according to Mark Diehl's articles in old AFV-G2 magazine. The PzKpfw IV Universe site identifies 75mm German case shot as 960 9mm balls.

From Mak

I recently got "Sturmgeschütz" by Uwe Feist & Wolfgang Fleischer , and they give some coverage to the ammunition used by the vehicle.

From the book....

The Stug III armed with the 7.5cm Sturm Kanone L / 24 ( 1940 ) besides being issued with Granatpatrone , 2 versions of Nebelpatrone ( smoke shells ) , Kanonegranate Panzer rot could also fire the Kartätschenpatrone KWK anti personnel shell.

This shell was delivered ready to fire .Its casing disintergrated in the barrel when fired. A diaphragm propelled approximately 240 lead balls from the barrelwith a angle of dispersion of 15? degrees.

Also canister use is mentioned in Panzertruppen 1 and 2.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

From previous topics...

The 75L24 cannister was supposed to be valued for effectiveness against human wave attacks, according to Mark Diehl's articles in old AFV-G2 magazine. The PzKpfw IV Universe site identifies 75mm German case shot as 960 9mm balls.

From Mak

I recently got "Sturmgeschütz" by Uwe Feist & Wolfgang Fleischer , and they give some coverage to the ammunition used by the vehicle.

From the book....

The Stug III armed with the 7.5cm Sturm Kanone L / 24 ( 1940 ) besides being issued with Granatpatrone , 2 versions of Nebelpatrone ( smoke shells ) , Kanonegranate Panzer rot could also fire the Kartätschenpatrone KWK anti personnel shell.

This shell was delivered ready to fire .Its casing disintergrated in the barrel when fired. A diaphragm propelled approximately 240 lead balls from the barrelwith a angle of dispersion of 15? degrees.

Also canister use is mentioned in Panzertruppen 1 and 2.

Rune

Thanks. Usage of this case-shot raised heated debate with my opponent. He prove one's case

and declare that this shot never been produced and never used by Wehrmacht. Who's right?

Can you give me some references or citation

disprove his allegation? Does somebody know how many Kt Kwk were produced or some example of usage?

According to mark's article, his sources include:

F. M. von Senger und Etterlin, Die Kampfpanzer von 1916-1966

US Army, "TM-E 30-451; Handbook on German Military Forces, 1945"

US Army, "TM 9-1985-3/TO 39B-1A-10; German Explosive Ordnance (Projectiles and Fuzes)"

US Army, "Historical Study 20/269; Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia"

F. W. von Mellenthin, "Panzer Battles"

Walter Stutz, "Schiesslehre"

Rudolf Lusar, "Die deutschen Waffen und Geheimwaffen des 2. Weltkrieges und Ihre Weiterentwicklung"

Rune

"...according to Mark Diehl's articles in old AFV-G2 magazine."

Dang, I'm all nostalgic now. The very first time I was 'published' was in the letters section of AFV G-2 (27 years ago?). That magazine died just a week after I sent in a check to renew my subscription for another two years! The internet may be a mammoth resource, but there's still a place in my heart for B&W printing and staple binding. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Andreas:

von Senger & Etterlin says in 'Die deutschen Panzer 1926-45', in his notes for the KWK37 75L24 that smoke and case shot (Kartaetschen) rounds were also available.

Thanks Andreas! Can you give me citation about usage KtKwK from this book here?